Secretly Seventy

*Unedited

Harper
"If you could only see, the beast you made of me,
I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free."

I rested my head on the pillow when the door was thrown open. I leapt up, seeing Shane, Rick, Glenn and T-dog carrying in a muddy, bloody figure. I quickly got out, calling for Xena to do the same as my eyes stared wide in shock as the four men laid the guy I vaguely recognized to be Daryl on the bed and left the room, Hershel entering.

I gulped. Hershel, as if sensing my unease, settled a hand on my shoulder. "He's strong, he'll pull through." Hershel gestured to the door and I nodded slowly, leaving Daryl with Hershel in the next room, but placing myself in the chair right outside the door.

------

Squirrel Boy

I groaned, head lulling to the side, nose pressing into the soft, clean pillow. Taking a deep breath in, I smelt a tangy, yet familiarly musty smell.

Smells like the Cap'n...

Drawing the sheets up closer to my face, and, more importantly, my nose, I inhaled more of the fruity tang of her scent.

"Daryl?" Her voice jolted my eyes open. She sat right in front of my face, Xena at her feet. The worry in her shining brown eyes confused me for a second, before the dull throbbing of my side and my head reminded me of everything.

"You alrigh' with me takin' yer bed like this?" I asked. She frowned for a second, then a snort left her and she gave a short-lived chuckle.

"You do know that I hate bed rest, right?" I scoffed.

"Try gettin' hurt less. Usually works for me." The Captain laughed properly this time. My lip quirked up at the corner. Tha's better.

------

Harper

Once I'd stopped laughing, Daryl and I just looked at one another. There was a surprisingly comfortable silence between us. I reached for his hand. He shifted so he was fully facing me, and gave me his hand. A squeeze from both of us at the same time had us both chuckling.

It felt weirdly nice to hold his hand, and to have him hold mine. I stared at our hands, wondering if--my gaze momentarily flickered to my wedding ring--if he ever made me feel that way. It was a marriage of convenience, more than anything. I didn't necessarily want to get married, but my mother wanted that for me, and I wasn't going to not get married on her birthday to honor her.

Daryl seemed to notice the frown on my face, because he hesitated before slipping his hand from mine. I reached back out for it but he'd pulled it back under the covers.

He watched me as I pouted and made grabby hands for his hand. Daryl snorted.

"Yer so childish, y'know tha'?" I grinned widely and nodded as he gave his warm, calloused hand back to me.

------

I jogged around the perimeter of the farm, the first light of a new day dawning. Just this morning I'd decided that I was gonna use this down time to get back into shape, since I'd practically been on bed rest the whole time I'd known this group. It's unbelievable, I mean, sure, I don't deal too well with being told to rest and heal up, but I can't even pinpoint a time that I shouldn't have been resting up since I've known this group.