weep, little lion man

He wasn't as strong as he thought himself to be, but he would never go as far as to admit something like that out loud. Putting up a front became sort of a habit for him, something he did as to not get hurt by others.

The last time he openly trusted someone ended in a disaster and there was no way to prevent it.

_

"Otou-san? How is it that I got your eyes?" He asked, staring up at the much taller man.

The strong hand that held his own lightly tightened its hold, "You're a perfect mix between your mother and I, aren't you?" There was an amused tone to his voice, "You see, that's how genes are passed down. My father shared the same eye colour as we do, but he did not have light hair like I do, my mother did."

"Hmm... I think we learned about that in school. Who did okaa-san get her hair from?" He jumped over a small puddle, careful not to wet his shoes.

His father helped him by pulling him up, adding a bit of extra height to his jump, "Both her mother and father had dark hair and dark eyes." The man explained.

"I like how our eyes are the same."

The man peered down at him, steel-blue irises flashing in an unknown way, "Oh, do you?" He grinned, "That's nice to hear."

Arashi giggled, nodding his head in confirmation, "Yep! I really, really like it!" He stepped forward, small shoes clicking against the concrete ground, "Are we going to to beach now?"

"Mhm. Sadly, your mother couldn't join us today, but I'll make sure she goes along with us next time, okay?"

"Okay~" He cheerily replied, too busy with the excitement bubbling from within.

They were going to the beach! Otou-san was very busy for the last few months and they could only go to the beach once a month, so now that it was time to make the trip, he was too giddy to be able to calm down.

"You're so excited, aren't you?" The man asked, amused, "I'm glad my love for the ocean got transferred to you. It makes me happy."

He nodded, "I love the ocean, otou-san! I'm never going to stop loving it!"

"I hope so, son, I truly hope so."

_

He awoke to the sound of rain splatting against glass.

The room was still dark, he could barely see the ceiling, and that was enough for him to know that he wasn't set to get up yet. One look at the flashing alarm clock on the side told him that he definitely wasn't set to get up yet—it wasn't even 5 a.m. With a defeated sigh, he relaxed and closed his eyes, but he knew that he wouldn't be able to fall asleep again.

He never could after having those kinds of dreams.

True to his younger self's words, he never did stop loving the ocean. It was a part of him, no matter how much he wished it to be otherwise.

That day was the last time they went to the ocean together.

_

After he made peace with the fact that there would be no more sleep for him, he went downstairs, intending to watch TV or do something to pass his time. What he didn't expect, however, was to find his mother already awake.

The staircase creaked at the last step and that caused the woman to turn to him, "Arashi...? Why are you awake at this hour?" She asked, concern lacing her tone. Even in the darkness of the living room, the paleness of her skin stuck out like a sore thumb.