~3~

I ran through the school doors and spotted her straight away. She was looking anxiously towards the doors, and rushed my way the minute she saw me.
"Did you get the message too?" she asked.
"Yes, and the logo-"
"The Walkers, I know-"
"But the lake, where was it?"
"I don't know, and what does it have to do with all this?"
"I'm not sure, but I can't remember what happened with the Walkers?"
"I don't know, we have to find out, but how?"
"Maybe the library has something?" I suggested, just as the bell rang. "We'll go later, don't we have a free period after this?"
"Yes we do, meet you there right afterwards." And we parted ways to separate languages classes.
                                     ***
After searching all the shelves, we still hadn't found any books relating to what we were looking for, so we settled on a computer instead.
"Ok, W-a-l-k-e-r-s," I typed in, "here, check this out."
" 'Walkers fight backlash from government after they leaked a document suggesting there will be no zero-waste reform in the United Countries of Earth.' Wow, is the government really that corrupt?"
"Look at this one: 'Walkers threatened by multiple United Countries leaders after organising and maintaining protests around the world for quote: "a different world".' "
Then my eyes fell on a headline that made me feel slightly dizzy. 'Government faces immense backlash after Walker scientists discover the world has 10 years left as we know it, and it's all the government's fault.'
"There aren't any other headlines here. That's odd."
"Hang on a second, check to see 'news reform' from around 10 years ago. I remember hearing something about that from my parents."
"Here, look! This is from around ten years ago, it says 'government to impose new "reform" on news policies, no news on how that will affect the news feed of today' and this is right after all the headlines about the Walkers disappear."
"If you check, I'm sure they must have wiped out any controversial topics and replaced it all with propaganda of some sort."
"Yeah, it appears so," said Maria, checking news stories from 10 years ago in comparison to today's stories, "there aren't any more mentions about Climate, money- unless it's money made by the government, racism, sexism... it's all gone."

Right then, all the screens went black, the lights turned off and soft music that had been playing from a radio ended abruptly.