~4~

All of a sudden, the radio static started up again and a distorted  voice spoke, " The world as we know it will end. The government is corrupt and our planet is dying. We have three days." The computer screens lit up with a bright blinding blue. A logo appeared. A W, intercrossed.
"A solar storm will hit us in approximately 72 hours but our leaders have destroyed the protective layer of the Earth. We are all in danger. Seek immediate shelter. Life as we know it is gone."

The static cut off, the screens blanked out and the lights lazily blinked on again. No one moved. No one breathed. The air itself was still and heavy with the weight of the words still lingering in the air, replaying over and over in our heads. We have three days. We are all in danger. Life as we know it is gone. And the alarms went off.

***

It was that sound, that anxiety sparking sound. It made your hairs rise up and your heart beat in your mouth. It made your breathing shallow and all of a sudden you're choking, you can't breathe.

Maria and I were hiding in an abandoned library classroom listening to the crowd of panicked people running out of the building, almost as if it was on fire. The apocalypse alarms kept blaring, loud, but at least the door dimmed it enough to hear our voices speak.
"What on Earth?"
"I know right. I mean, I knew we were screwed but not at that point."
"Exactly, like three days. Three days. What the hell are we supposed to do?"
"People will be raiding the shops now I guess, just like the quarantine but way way worse."
"I don't want to die. Well actually, kinda, but not like this."
"Yeah same. Not my family, not my friends, not my whole entire world and planet." And I couldn't help it, the pressure that had been forced on me exploded and I went into a full blown panic attack. "It's all going to be gone. How are we even supposed to do anything now. We'll die before the planet even heals," I gasped through the ever speeding up breaths. I was hyperventilating at this point, my vision blurred and I felt lightheaded, dizzy.
"Hey, don't worry," I heard suddenly, clearly, in my head. A man's voice.
"Did you hear that?" asked Maria.
"Yeah, I did," I replied, my breaths slowing down. The panic attack had passed, thankfully, and I noticed Maria had been crying a little.
"Hey, we'll be alright somehow, I hope. Let's get out of here and go to my house. Maybe there things will make more sense," and together, we held each other up as we walked out into the now empty library, and out into the dying planet.