Tape 8 : Pt. one

Some girls know all the lyrics to each other's songs. They find harmonies in their laughter. Their linked elbows echo in tune. What if I can't hum on key? What if my melodies are the ones nobody hears?

Clays pov

P R E S E N T T I M E

I'm sitting in Mr. Porters office right now. I feel completely numb. I feel like nothing even matters at this point. Fuck everything, right? I didn't know it was possible to not feel anything until this moment. Because out there in the hall...I lost control. I didn't care what I said in that moment. And yeah...I don't regret any of it. Well, I lied. I do regret what I said about Sierra. That shit was fucked up. But everything else...who cares.

"So, what happened out there in the hallway?" Mr. Porter said.

"I don't know. Tired, I guess" I said.

"Tired? Tired of what?" He said.

"Just tired." I said.

"Seems like you were angry. At this school. About Hannah." He said.

"Aren't you?" I said.

"Sure. Angry about another needless death. I'm sad for Hannah...and for all of us who...who cared about her." He said and I sighed.

"So, are you gonna punish me or what?" I said.

"Is that what you want me to do?" He said.

"Do you get a lot of kids coming in here asking for punishment?" I said and he chuckled a little.

"What do you think your punishment should be?" He said.

"Isn't that your job? I mean, it's not like you're trained to be a shrink or anything, right?" I said.

"No. But I like to think I can be helpful...to kids who are hurting, who are not in touch with what they're feeling, lonely..." He said.

"I'm not lonely" I said.

"Who may hurt themselves" He said.

"I'm not gonna hurt myself." I said.

"Who try to find their way out..." He continued and I cut in.

"You don't know what you're talking about. Screw you!" I said and then sat back in my chair sighing.

"Okay" He said.

"I'm sorry" I said.

"No, that's okay. You're hurting. And I want to help. I want to be there for you, Clay. I'm not going to say I understand just what you're going through, but if you talk to me...I'll try" He said.

"Everybody wants to talk. No one wants to do anything." I said.

"What is it that you want to do?" He said.

Good question, Mr. Porter.

Sierras pov