Tape 8 : Pt. three

Sierras pov

P R E S E N T  T I M E

"Alright Tony, you promised us the secrets are at the top of this rock." I said as we all sat down looking at the view below us.

"We risked our lives to get here" Clay said.

"You wouldn't have died.  You'd break a bunch of shit." Tony said and Clay scoffed.

"Nice" I said and then it got quiet for a minute.

"I never thought about it.  Dying. Until this year." Clay said and I looked to him.

"Have you ever seen a dead body?" Tony said and my heart just sunk.

"I've been to a few funerals." Clay said.

"Have you ever seen a crime scene?" Tony said and I looked to him.

"Well, like...CSI and Law & Order, all that." Clay said.

"No, no.  Like a....a real one." Tony said.

"Have you?" Clay said.

"Yeah.  Once." Tony said.  I already know what he's talking about...but why is he bringing it up?

"What...what's it like?" Clay said.

"Quiet. Not silent or anything, just...no excitement. No big noise. Just cops walking around doing their jobs. Like it was nothin" Tony said a little angry.

"How old were you?" Clay said.

"Seventeen" I said answering for him and clay looked to me confused.

"How...how do you know?" Clay said.

"I was there" I said looking down.

"What was the crime?" Clay said.

"Suicide" Tony said and Clay just stared at us.

"You were there. You saw her." Clay said and Tony sighed.

"I can see her through my window.  She walks up to the door, she leaves this box. And goes. I didn't get up. I figured if it was important, she would have knocked. Rang the doorbell or something, right? And I...I should have gone out there. I should have talked to her.  But...Look, I liked Hannah. She was a friend. But the girl was a lot.  She was drama. And I was apparently the only guy at Liberty who didn't grab her ass or stare at her tits. And so I always got to hear about it...and on that particular day, I didn't want to deal, so I let her walk away." Tony said and I just find myself sitting there tearing up. 

"Jeez, Tony." Clay said in shock.

"Half hour. Forty five minutes later, I get the box, open them, and there's these tapes, and a letter. Please take care of these.  Listen, and you'll know how. I started listening to the first tape. And then...I try calling the Bakers.  They don't answer.  I fucking speed over to her house....the ambulance is already there. And the cops.  And the front doors open.  I run inside.  Her parents are there. Sierra is there.  I embrace her and she's...she's a mess.  And Hannah...she's....they've got her in a body bag. I remember thinking, there's no handles on that bag. How are they gonna pick her up? Carry her?" Tony said and I looked down.