Chapter 9: White Flag

-Not all who let go are cowards; some are brave enough to face the bitter truth of defeat.- Like a soldier in a war, who wave a white flag with pride. Those who accept defeat to avoid any more suffering are wise enough. They are willing to lower their pride, willing to break their own dreams just to start a new.-

It was a peaceful Monday morning at a café. Nath is sitting on a table near the glass wall. She can see all the people and vehicles that pass by. There are some students who are rushing to catch their first subject. She excitedly taps the table top as she waits for her cup of caramel macchiato. Even though her first subject will start soon, she is unbothered by the time, a peculiar behavior as she portrays a modest young Filipina. Soon a young waiter, with the same physique with her, approaches her table, carrying a caramel macchiato she ordered on top of a tray. If the waiter is a girl, he will be the best image for Nath to copy as she tries her best to act like a "Dalagang Pilipina" (a Filipino term which is pertaining to a modest young lady). In his job as a waiter Alex tried his best to commit to the Manager's request; which is to act like a butler as he serves the customer. He was like Zane; he has this innocent and beautiful look of a young man. He smiles as he serves the caramel macchiato, but as soon as he recognizes his friend, his dignified act fades away.

"What are you doing here Nath?"

Alex asked while checking if the manager is looking at them. He's been working at that café for a long time since his parents was scammed by a loan shark. Since he doesn't want to burden his parents because of his desire to study, he needs to work for his tuition fees. Like a regular worker, he feels uncomfortable every time his friend visits the café.

"Aw, what else can I do at a café, can I also buy some pork belly here?"

Nath answered in a sarcastic manner.

"If that is all, then that's good."

Alex said while he started to leave the table as soon as he serves the caramel macchiato to Nath. Every time he see Nath at the café, he know that she will ask something and bother him again.

"Wait!"

Nath shouted causing her to disrupt the relaxing ambiance of the café, causing other customer to look at them. Alex's eyes widen as he looked at his friend. This is the reason why he doesn't want Nath to visit him at the café where he works, because every time she goes there she accidentally creates a scene like this.

"Look here you piece of blood covered with flesh, I am here to work for me to gain money for my tuition fee. I can't afford to lose this job so please don't put me on the edge again!"

Alex whispered after he checks if his manager is near them; thankfully she is not. Nath zips her mouth as she saw Alex angry face. After he scolded Nath, Alex took a deep sigh to calm his self.

"So, what do you want?"

Alex asked, he initiated to start the conversation since he knows where it is going.

"Hey! No I don't need something. Why do you always conclude things like that?"

Nath answered. Alex just looked at her with a poker face. Nath have been the only friend Alex had since Senior High and Alex really knows Nath well; that is why he knows that Nath is just acting defensively right now.

"Ok, if you say so, I will continue to work."

Alex said as he turns around to leave Nath behind.

"Ok Fine!"

Nath answered as she saw Alex leaving. Alex smiled since he considered himself as a winner to their conversation again. Even though he acts like he doesn't want Nath to be near him at the moment, he really loves his friend. Nath is the only friend left for him. Since the downfall of his family, his fake friends started to leave him, much worst is he just found his own bully; which is a 3rd year college girl who can do anything just to make his life miserable. He is always thankful to Nath for not leaving him and the only thing he can do to pay his friend back is to always help her in every gimmick she wants.