eight

My eyes grew wide, & my heart seemed to skip a beat after he muttered those words:

'Can I ask you a weird favor?'

"I..." I took a sudden gulp of air, "Yeah, of course, No. Seven."

He kept his eyes on the ground, "Well, I was wondering...since it's such a beautiful night...could we stargaze from your sakura tree?"

I stared at him as he continued, "I've always wanted to stargaze up high. & well, I've done the roof many times but...your sakura tree just seems so relaxing. But, I've never wanted to go up there without asking..."

He muttered the last part, "Or without you."

My face began to heat up, as his eyes moved back to my face. I prayed to whatever other spirits that could hear me that he couldn't see the color that lit up my face.

It took me a minute to find the words to respond, as his eyes searched mine, "I don't see why not?"

Hanako floated up, "Well, let's get a move on!"

He started floating to the tree, me following closely behind. For some odd reason, I feel different towards Hanako right now. Like, something was different. Had something changed? Was it this new side to him I had never seen? Or the things he was beginning to say?

Was he just trying to mess with my head?

Many thoughts swirled through my head but slowly came to a close as we went up the tree. We went up to the highest branch we could find, which was in the clear for seeing the sky. Thankfully, it was a long sturdy branch that would fit both of us ghosts.

We sat side by side...& maybe a little too close for comfort.

But for the first time in forever:

I didn't say a word about it.

We both stared up at the sky, admiring the little stars that bedazzled the darkness. Inspecting the moon that seemed so close, yet so far. It all shined so brightly like it was nature's own light show. Nature always seemed to create something beautiful morning, noon, & night...I could never possibly understand how, no matter how long I've been alive or dead. Maybe that was a secret only nature knows, & for us to continue to admire & wonder about.

It was silent between us for the first time in forever. Hanako was so lost in the stars, that I almost believed the stars were in his eyes. I would've made a comment, but I didn't want to ruin whatever moment or feeling was going on. I couldn't tell what it was but - it was beautiful.

It was nice that he wasn't blabbering on & on to fill the empty void, or trying to find something new to tease me about. It was nice my thoughts were at ease, & all the anger & sharp tongue felt like it had left my body, along with my crippling loneliness.

Even if it was just for this night, I believe it's worth it.

As some time passed, Hanako poked me in the arm. I looked over at him, as he stayed looking ta he stars & pointed, "You see those clumps of stars over there?"

I followed his pointed finger, narrowing my eyes to look for the stars he spoke of. After a few seconds, I spotted them. I nodded as he continued, "That's a constellation! That's actually Ursa Major!"

"Oh?" I asked him intrigued, "You know about constellations?"

He turned to look at me, his amber eyes shimmering, "Of course! I know so much about astronomy! It's my favorite thing on this whole planet."

I giggled, causing him to rub the back of his neck cheekily. He continued, "It may sound lame but..."

Jumping a little, I waved both my hands in front of me & babbled, "NO NO!"

His eyes widened as I continued to speak, "I actually find it...pretty cool."

"You do?"

I nodded, a genuine smile reaching my lips, "I do."

I could've sworn he could've popped with excitement, but he remained cool.

"So...could I show you some more constellations?"

"Heck yeah, point away!" I tell him excitedly.

& that's what happened. Hanako snuggled in closer to me as he pointed out many other constellations that to me just seemed like a bundle of stars. He explained to me what they were & their origins, with wide hand movements & expressive facials.

This went on for a while until there were no more constellations to point out. When he stopped, I frowned, "No more?"

"Sadly, yes." Hanako sighed, his eyes remaining on the sky, "But, there is so much more I could tell you."

"Please tell me more then?" I asked giddy, my hands resting in my lap.

It was what seemed only minutes have passed, but now probably hours, of Hanako talking about constellations with me. It was amazing, & the first time I felt...genuinely joyful.

Hanako turned his gaze to me amused, "How bout, we save that for another day?"

I crossed my arms, "But that could be forever..."

His hand met my shoulder, "It doesn't have to be...I quite enjoyed this time I've spent with you Rouge."

I stayed silent for a few minutes. My eyes disconnected from his as they settled into my lap. My hands started to knead my kimono, & I pursed my lips. Hanako took his hand off my shoulder, & began to hum lightly to himself.

I enjoyed tonight too...was what I was wanting to say, but I was too fucking stubborn.

I was to enveloped into the thought of actually beginning to feel like I had a friend, & maybe not being alone. But, I don't know if I was ready to admit that yet...but...I didn't want to hurt Hanako's feelings. I want to be his friend, I really do.

I couldn't seem to get over my stubbornness to even say something genuinely nice, which, nice going Rouge you dumbass.

So, how could I prove that, without saying it...or saying something that sounded so romantic?

I wanted to gag on the word romantic, but before my brain could process even thinking about it, a lightbulb flashed on into my head.

"Um...H-Hanako." I murmured a bit, quickly gaining his gaze onto mine.

He cocked his head to the side, giving me his undivided attention. I breathed in & out a little bit, continuing to knead my kimono again.

"Uh..." I sighed, looking back up at the stars again, "Persephone."

A minute of silence passed, before I finally spoke up again, "My name is Persephone...but, my friends call me Sephy."

I looked back towards him, his gaze still on me. His eyes seemed to sparkle in a new way, something I couldn't seem to recognize.

Was this, friendship?

Hanako finally spoke up, a kind hum to his voice, "Persephone, I like it."

I shook my head & pouted, "You heard me Hanako. My friends call me Sephy."

His mouth created an 'o' structure, before releasing his signature smile, "Right! I like your name..."

"Sephy."