fifteen

I followed Hanako, just like the night before. Out of the building, out of the glass door, & before we knew it, right back to the highest branch of my sakura tree. & as if it had become routine for the two of us, we sat side by side, a little too close for my comfort, but close enough to know we're friends.

Sitting there silently, just staring at the stars, all felt right in the world once again. I wasn't worried about seeing Tsuchigomori at the library during free times or getting exorcised by one of the Minamoto boys. I felt calm & safe within this small space we had created in these past two days.

I silently wished that this wouldn't have to change, but I also didn't hold my breath. Things like this come & go as fast as the season's change, & once I'm not Hanako's assistant, I don't see why he'd want to hang out anymore like this.

"Hey, what's going on?" Hanako asked, noticing my frowning face.

"Nothing, don't worry about it. Just a little entrapped in my thoughts." I sighed, looking over at Hanako, his bright amber eyes as bright as the night stars.

"You know, you can tell me anything. You don't have to keep all your thoughts all to yourself," He said, looking back up at the stays, "I know it might seem easier, & you must be used to from being alone for so long. But, I know from experience sitting alone with your thoughts can weigh you down...so, if you ever need someone to lend an ear without judgment, I'll be there."

I continued to stare at the boy who seemed to be speaking from the heart. I took his words to heart, feeling the warmth of genuine wrap around me. I sighed, "Thanks...Hanako..."

He then nudged me on my side with my elbow, "Now, cheer up. Do you have something to talk about? Let's talk, we do have all night after all."

Shaking my head, I continued, "Maybe another time. For now, I'd like to enjoy the here & the now with you."

Just as I thought that my comment would go undetected, a small smirk lifted to his face. Hanako opened his mouth, probably to say something flirtatious, or some comment to tease me, but closed it gently & moved is gaze back to the sky.

Before I could ask, he started pointing at the beautifully painted sky in front of us, "I have so many things to tell you about the stars & the planets, so let's get started!"

& from there, that's what happened. Hanako went on & on for what felt like hours about the different stars, comets, planets, & every single fact he could conjure from that small brain of his. It amazed me he stored all this information, & could talk about it in such excitement.

I could sit here for days it felt with him, watching the sky & talking about the endless possibilities of it. What's beyond the universe, & what exactly is still hidden within it. There was much to discuss, but such little time to.

After a few more minutes, Hanako turned back to me with a small sigh, "You know, I never told you my name."

My head cocked to the side in confusion as he continued, "You probably thought you were the only one with secrets up your sleeves. Well, I'm a man with many as well."

I chuckled, "Well, I guess that's another thing we have in common."

He nodded, "The only difference between us, is that I want to figure out every single one of yours."

Before I could even fully comprehend what he had said, my face had heated up. I was probably as red as a fire truck, which is pretty strange for a ghost.

Hanako, the seventh wonder of the school, the most powerful apparition I've known, wanted to know every single thing about me? Did I hear him wrong?