ten

When we arrived at the third story bathroom, I sat on the - probably now dirty - tiled floor of the bathroom. I muttered curses under my breath, as I tried to catch the rest of my breath.

Hanako floated in front of me & questioned, "You look tuckered out, what's the deal?"

I rolled my eyes, finally catching my breath, "I just ran from my classroom, all the to the third story bathroom, without floating. I haven't ran in decades, wouldn't you feel the same?"

He shrugged, "Fair point...you should've just floated then! It was only Tsuchi watching you!"

"Your so dense." I state deadpanned, "I've explained it to you: I'm undercover."

"Well Tsuchigomori knows, doesn't he?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to accidentally slip up!" I state, standing up & brushing off my uniform, "Besides, it's not like I have him on my good side."

Hanako tilted his head to the side, "Oh? What did you do this time?"

I fumed, "HEY! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK IT'S MY FAULT!"

He pointed at me, covering his smile & laughter, "That exact reason right there."

I huffed, crossing my arms & puffing my cheeks out as he continued, "Besides, right when you met Tsuchigomori, you pissed him off the same day. He thinks your a little too stubborn...I know you a little too well, but also not all - Sephy."

I stopped my silent fit as I looked at Hanako, who had a genuine smile...yet again. I let down my walls for a quick second to respond, "Y-yeah...I guess."

I shook off the gross feelings I started having right then & there, "So, what's the deal with the mochi?"

"Mokke."

"Bless you."

He laughed, floating over to the windowsill to sit down, "The Mokke are little creatures that have lived in this school for decades, possibly longer than I or any of the other apparitions have, & are rumored to steal things. Although they're not considered a school wonder, they are one of the apparitions hidden in the school. Anyways, I need you to help me hunt down these little creatures. I can't seem to find where they ran off to..."

"Maybe they're hiding cuz you wave around your knife so often." I snorted, earning a dead stare from Hanako.

He continued, "Now, the reason I need you to find these little rascals is to one - we need to change their rumor. They're stealing a little too much, & starting to make an unhealthy imbalance in the school. & second of all - they must come out of hiding. I'd like them to be around, & maybe engage with the other wonders & apparitions."

I nodded, tapping my finger on my chin, "I see...& I couldn't do this after school to make it easier because...?"

Hanako stared at me before laughing, "OH! No, I do want you to do this after school..."

I stomped over to him, grabbing him by the collar & started shaking him aggressively, yelling, "THEN WHY'D YOU PULL ME OUT OF CLASS YOU JERK!"

He started making sputtering noises, so that was my queue to let go of him. Hanako shook his head as he rebalanced & fixed his hat, "Well uh..."

"Spit it out already!"

Hanako put his arms behind his head, "Okay okay! I was a little lonely...jeez."

My face felt warm, as I swiveled on my heel to turn from him.

"Besides, you looked pretty bored from what I recall. I don't blame you, Tsuchigomori & chemistry are to bland & boring things I wouldn't want to listen from on for hours on end."

The bell for the next class to begin rang throughout my ears. I sighed, knowing I'd be late to second period.

Should...no...yes?

I turned back towards him, as he gave me puppy dog eyes to stay.

"Don't worry, I'll stay." I said as he cheered, "But, only because you dragged me out of class already & I'd be late to first period. So don't get any funny ideas!"

Hanako snickered as he neared me, "Oh don't worry, I won't~"

I smacked him upside the head, "I know your already thinking them, perv. Don't you have nudey books to look at?"

He smirked at me, "No, because I already have a beautiful girl to look at right here."

Staring into his amber orbs, a flick of playfulness & amusement danced through them. Before I knew it, I felt my whole face & body warm-up, making me tense a little.

"Cat got your tongue?" Hanako purred, balling up his hands as his raised them to his head, pretending he was a cat.

"N-no." I stammered, averting my gaze from his. Why was I feeling this sort of way? Was this some kind of joke he was trying to play on me or was he really flirting with me?

I heard him giggle, as he moved away from me. He went back up onto his windowsill, patting the empty space next to him for me to sit.

Before I dared to move another inch to sit down, I did a little spin, transforming back into my comfy kimono & natural form. He clapped & cheered a little, causing me to roll my eyes playfully, & do a joking curtsy. I went & sat across from him, as we both looked out the foggy stain glass window.

We sat in silence for a little bit, just staring at the people walking by & on campus, the calm city that laid beyond the school, & the beading sun that hung high in the sky. Everything seemed so calm & gentle right now, even though we were surrounded by many other people occupied in other rooms.

"So, is this what you do all day?" I ask him, breaking the silence we accidentally created.

Hanako nodded & sighed, "Yeah, basically. No one really comes to summon me, & all the other wonders & apparitions are hidden or busy, so I don't have much to do."

"Awe..." I responded, now looking at him. His eyes stayed on the window, but he looked a little down. I guess he didn't like to be lonely...that's one difference that set us apart.

Before I knew it, words came up like vomit, "Well, now you have me. So, you won't be lonely!"

I jumped a little, covering my mouth at my sudden words. Hanako was obviously surprised too, judging as he looked over to me with curious wide eyes.

"You mean that, Sephy?"

I smiled a little, "Uh...yeah...I do..."

He gave a smile back, closing his eyes along with it, "Well! Good to know!"

I got off the windowsill to stretch, "Well! Let's do something! We've got some time till we find the Mokke, whatcha say?"

Hanako sat there until he smiled at a thought that seemed to race past his mind, "OH! I know exactly what to do! But, close your eyes, it's a surprise!"

I nodded, closing my eyes. There was some clattering noises, & a loud bang. I flinched at the sudden noises, but nonetheless I kept my eyes closed.

"Now reach your hands out."

I do as told, & feel to different objects in my hands. One cold & heavy, the one off-balanced & stiff.

"Okay! You can open your eyes!"

I opened my eyes, expecting something exciting...but of course, I was wrong. My excited expression dropped dead as I witnessed a full bucket of water & mop in my hand.

Hanako floated in front of me, his wisps on either side of him as he gave me jazz hands, "TA-DA!"

"I hate you, you know that?" I complained, setting the bucket down.

He returned to his spot on the sill with a little giggle as I got to cleaning, "Oh Sephy, I know you love me~"