⚝Chapter Three⚝

Eimi nodded at her work. She was proud of what she did for Yue. It took her a week, but she did it. And just in time for Yue's birthday as well. 

She shoved the bracelet into an inner pocket of her dress when she heard Yue call out for her in the Spirit Oasis. She didn't want her to see it yet. It was a surprise.

"Eimi, are you in here?"

"Where else would I be?" she asked, smiling. 

"I don't know, maybe at your little hideout?" Yue asked with a laugh. "I'm going to find it someday, Eimi. I promise you I will."

"Sure." She drew Yue into a hug. 

"What is this for?" Yue asked her.

"I was rude to you last week," Eimi explained. "I'm making it up to you. Plus, it's your sixteenth birthday."

She pulled away from Yue and noticed her large smile. It was good to be talking to her again. She missed her sister for that week. She hardly had anyone to talk to, and that was so lonely. 

"And next week will be your fifteenth birthday," Yue answered. "However, we're celebrating the both of us tonight. Did you know that?"

Eimi stared at her sister, shaking her head. "No. Did you plan that?"

"Of course," she said, laughing. "This year is different, Eimi. We're becoming women. What better way to celebrate than to celebrate the both of us together?"

"Is that why you haven't spoken to me in the last week?" Eimi asked her.

"Yes. I was planning the celebration down to the minute. I want it to be perfect for my perfect sister."

Eimi smiled. "Perfect? I'm not perfect."

"Well, no." Eimi gently hit Yue's arm, but she was still smiling. "But you are the perfect sister for me. We go together like waves on a beach."

"Especially when we crash together," Eimi said. 

"I wouldn't trade you for the world," Yue said softly. "You are my best friend, Eimi. I don't want my engagement to Hahn ruin our relationship, okay?"

Eimi sighed and shrugged. "Me either. I just wished Father didn't choose him. I hate him."

"I know you do."

"Did I ever tell you what he said about me when we were little?" she asked her older sister.

Yue shook her head. "Do I really want to know?"

Eimi thought about it. If she told her, maybe Yue would reject Hahn. But then who would ask for her hand in marriage? Even if she hated the rules of the Northern Water Tribe, someone had to marry the girls just so they could rule. And she didn't think her father would allow anyone else to marry Yue.

"No," she answered softly. "No, you don't want to know."

Yue squeezed her hand. "As long as you control yourself around him, he will too. I'll make sure."

"Thanks."

"Now, is there anything else that you need to talk about?" Yue asked her.

"Well, since it's your birthday, I made you something," Eimi said, reaching into her pocket. She produced the thin bracelet and handed it to Yue. "I braided leather together for the base of the bracelet. I carved a crescent moon on a piece of bone and made it a pendant."

"Oh, Eimi," Yue whispered. Her eyes glistened in the soft sunlight. "It's beautiful. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome."