⚝Chapter Twenty Four⚝

Trigger Warning. There are mentions of suicide in this chapter. Read at your own risk.

 Read at your own risk

Eimi had a plan. She hadn't slept at all the night before because she kept picturing Yue and Navrek. But she had a plan on how to join them in the afterlife. It was early morning when she snuck out of the palace. The sun had barely peaked over the ice wall, but people weren't out. They were mourning the loss of their family members and the Princess of the Northern Water Tribe. 

Eimi had slowly grown numb through the night. Her tears had dried up; the sobs didn't wrack her body. She couldn't feel anything anymore. The cool air didn't puncture her skin. The only thing she could feel was the desire to leave this world behind. It didn't need her. No one wanted her there. She didn't think anyone would notice that she had slipped off to the afterlife. 

Eimi didn't bother leaving a note behind in her room. She didn't know what to say to her parents. She didn't want to hurt her mother by leaving a note. It would ruin the legacy she left behind. Eimi wanted to be known as the girl who had nothing left. Her best friend died. Her sister died. The happiness in her life had died away, leaving the empty shell of the Girl. 

It had been such a long time since she last visited the Girl for this extended period of time. The Sister had crumbled down, so she slipped back into her innermost wall. That was where her buried feelings were trapped. But now she was trapped there, drowning in the grief. 

She made it to her secret alcove, collapsing right on the edge of the ice. Her head hung above the still water. Stringy black hair clumped around small shoulders. Her once deep blue eyes were dull. The body that protruded from the hair had grown frail. Maybe she had always been frail, and she didn't know it. Her mind had always been fragile, but she thought her body was stronger than that. 

Eimi looked at her arm, pushing up the sleeve on Sokka's parka. She had put Yue's bracelet on her wrist. She also had put on Navrek's betrothal necklace. They would serve as the anchors, pulling her down to the depths of the ocean. No one would find her here. They wouldn't find her body floating in the water. That gave her a little bit of peace.

She slipped out of the parka, laying it across the ice. All night, she could smell Sokka's scent on it. That was all she needed from him. It gave her the little bit of ecstasy to survive on until the morning. 

Eimi stripped out of all her clothes, leaving her underclothes on. Goosebumps rose on her skin, but she couldn't feel anything. She took her clothes off so she could get hypothermia quicker in the water. However, the clothes would help drag her under.

She didn't spend time thinking about that. If she thought too much, she would back out of what she was about to do. Eimi didn't want to back out. She wanted to join Yue; she wanted to be happier. And she didn't think this life would do that for her. So she took matters into her own hands.

Eimi dipped her legs into the frigid water. It bit at her skin like a rabid animal. A slight breeze pushed and pulled the water to and fro, away and toward. She took a deep breath - hopefully her last - before diving into the water. Light fractured through the water, piercing her gaze. Her body sunk slowly toward the depths. She was ready to die, to join Yue in the afterlife. Bubbles rose above her as she let her last breath out. Her body went limp because she wasn't getting any oxygen to her body and brain.