⚝Chapter Five⚝

The night had come to a close, and most everyone had headed home. However, Master Pakku, Father, and the Avatar stood in front of the plaza fountain, talking to each other. Yue had already gone to bed, and so did Sokka and his sister. Eimi didn't think they would leave the Avatar alone but didn't really matter. She wanted to follow the Avatar with or without his friends.

The cool night air settled around Eimi as she eavesdropped on the conversation between the Avatar, Master Pakku, and Father. She didn't want to be seen because she wanted to talk to the Water Tribe kids. 

"Master Pakku, meet your newest student, the Avatar," Father said, his voice quiet. She was far enough away that they wouldn't see her, but she could still hear them.

"Just because you're destined to save the world, don't expect any special treatment," Master Pakku said grumpily. Eimi didn't really like Master Pakku because he was always rude to Navrek. It seemed like he wouldn't have a better attitude with the Avatar.

"My friend and I can't wait to start training with you - after we relax for a couple days," the Avatar said after bowing. Eimi snickered to herself; Master Pakku wouldn't allow him any second of rest. She didn't think Master Pakku knew what relaxation was.

"If you want to relax, then I suggest visiting a tropical island," Master Pakku said. "If not, I'll see you both at sunrise. Good night."

Both? Eimi didn't think Sokka could bend or else he would've shown off in front of Yue. She guessed it was the Water Tribe girl, but Master Pakku wouldn't allow her to train with him. Girls couldn't learn to fight with their bending. They had to learn how to heal. Eimi thought that was unfair to separate the boys and girls. They had the same powers. But tradition told that the men will protect the women during battle.

Eimi hated that.

She turned on her heel and followed the Avatar to where he was staying. That way, she could talk to the two from the sister tribe. She just hoped that they were out and about in the middle of the night. She wanted to catch them off guard, especially Sokka. 

The Avatar quickly made it to where he was staying, disappearing into the little hut. She heard the girl speak but not Sokka. That meant he was out and about somewhere, and she could talk to him. She also wanted to speak to the girl but that might have to wait. 

Or maybe Eimi didn't have to wait. The Water Tribe girl stepped out of the hut, looking around. "Sokka? Where are you?"

Sokka appeared in the moonlight, raising his hand. "I'm here."

"Where have you been?" the girl asked, slapping his arm. "I was worried."

"Aw, you were worried about me?" he asked, a grin forming on his face. 

"We're in a new place," she argued. "What if someone took you?"

"No one would take me," he replied with a wink. "Besides, I could take them on if they attacked me. I'm the mighty Sokka, after all."

Eimi rolled her eyes. How had this guys head gotten that big? He reminded her of Hahn, just not as rude. She stepped out of the shadows just as the Water Tribe girl entered the hut. Before Sokka could enter after her, Eimi grabbed his arm, swinging him around. She dodged his flying hands and said, "It's me, Princess Eimi."

He slowed to a stop and stared at her, his brow furrowed. "If you wanted to talk, you could've at the celebration."

"I didn't want to talk in front of Yue," she replied, still holding onto his arm. She dropped it before crossing her arms over her chest.

"Why does it look like you're going to give me a serious talk?"

Eimi didn't want to smile at that, but she did anyway. His lips rose in a smile as well when he saw her smiling. Maybe if he felt at ease, she could slip in that she didn't want him around Yue. 

"What's up?" Sokka asked after a minute of silence.

"I want to know why you're here." Sokka burst out laughing, and Eimi frowned. "Why are you laughing at me?"

"Aang has to learn how to waterbend," Sokka said, grinning. "He needs to learn how to waterbend and then go onto earthbending and then firebending."

"Well, he's been gone for one hundred years. I figured he already knew how to bend all the elements."

Sokka shrugged. "He was encased in ice for that whole time. He didn't really have time to learn."

Eimi stood there, wondering if he was lying to her. He didn't look like he was lying, and she believed him. "It's been a hundred years since the war started," she finally said. "Is he going to spend years trying to learn the elements? Because I don't think the world can handle another year of fighting."

"He's going to try to learn the three elements by the end of the summer," Sokka answered immediately. "I know it'll be hard, but I believe in him. I know he can do it."

Eimi stared at him and nodded. "I hope he will be able to do it."

"You don't have to be so against us," he said with a laugh. "We're good people."

"Who says I'm against you guys?" she asked him, frowning.

"Well, tonight you wouldn't even look at us most of the time," he said, counting off of his fingers. "You've been very cold toward us. You -"

"I'm cold to most everyone. It's not just you guys." Eimi was surprised that she actually said that out loud. She usually didn't say things without thinking about it. She hadn't truly spoken her mind to someone since she was little. A lot had changed about her since then. 

"It makes sense since you live in the Northern Water Tribe," he joked. 

She allowed herself one short laugh. She was realizing slowly that Sokka was different than Hahn. He was different than the other boys in the Northern Water Tribe. 

"Is that the only reason you came to talk to me?" he asked.

He was also smart, and that was saying something. Most of the boys there acted like they had only one brain cell. She doubted they had any.

"I actually came regarding Yue," Eimi started out. She didn't want to tell him that Father had already chosen someone for Yue to marry. That was for her sister to tell. 

"Oh, Yue? She's beautiful," Sokka said in a rush, a goofy grin on his face. His goofy grin turned to a look of horror as he stared at Eimi. "I mean, you're beautiful too. She's not the only pretty girl around. But -"

"I know what you mean," Eimi said, the corners of her mouth turning up. "She's different, right? She's like an angel sent from the spirits. She's my favorite person in the world."

"I bet," he said, nodding. "Even if I do fight with Katara, I will always know that she's right there to support me. She was all I had for the longest time. I don't think I could repay what she's done for me."

Eimi nodded. She didn't understand how he could relate to her that quickly. Most of the time, she wouldn't open up to other people. She clung to Yue and Navrek since she was little. They were all that she needed. 

"Sokka?" Katara asked from inside the hut.

"I better go in there," he said, gesturing toward the hut with his head. However, he didn't move at all. "It was nice talking to you, Princess Eimi."

"It was my pleasure."

Eimi turned around started to walk away when Sokka yelled, "I hope to do an activity with you, too!"

She laughed and raised a hand to him in goodbye. Surprisingly, she was in a better mood than when she first went to talk to him. However, something didn't sit right on her mind. She had a feeling something bad was going to happen soon, and the feeling wouldn't go away until it happened. That scared her.