12 - Helen Angel and the Power Cores

Alice's POV

"What do you mean little one?" I asked, trying my best to remain calm. "Is it one of big-you's concerns, but strong enough that you're aware of it?"

Helen shrugged. "Don't know."

I let out a sigh. "Helen sweetie, it is likely to happen." I noticed fear in her eyes, so I quickly continued. "However, some people are lucky enough where their minds don't get affected by the ink."

"Really?"

I nodded. Though that's only a very obscure rumor. I thought, but I wasn't going to tell her that.

This seemed to make her feel better. "Alice?" She asked, this time sounding quite nervous for some reason.

"What's wrong sweetie?"

"Why won't Hailey let me know anything about what she was like as a kid? Big me supposed to be nice."

I paused to think about it for a bit before I answered. "Well, big you doesn't have good memories of her childhood. She loved to draw, to create art. However, only her big brother supported that. Everyone else was against it. As a result she considers Henry to be the only good part of her childhood."

"That's very sad," she mumbled. "What about her momma and papa?"

I had to think about it for a bit. I had to be delicate with this subject. "Big you's mom passed away giving birth to her, and her father was a mean man who wanted her to grow up to be the stereotypical housewife."

"That's mean."

I nodded. "I agree. So it's a very good thing for the both of us that didn't happen."

Helen nodded in agreement, but looked sad. "So big me never had a mommy?"

"Correct, little one. Why do you ask?"

A sudden shyness overcame her, and she wouldn't look at me. "Since Hailey never had a mommy... can you be mine?"

"Awwwwww," Allison practically sang. "That's so sweet!"

Bendy didn't seem to agree. "Too much sap! I'm going back to the elevator." He then ran out of the room.

I, on the other hand, was so amazed by the question that I didn't even think about it. I didn't even need to. I already knew what my answer was going to be.

I gave her the biggest and warmest smile of my life. "Helen, you are the sweetest and most precious thing I've ever seen. So my answer is yes."

"Mama!" Helen sang with a grin. "Mama! Mama! Mama!"

I laughed at her cuteness. "I love you my baby girl."

She then yawned. "I love you two Mama," she sleepily replied.

***

Allison's POV

Holly snow angels! That was the sweetest thing I've ever seen! I thought to myself. Just when I thought she couldn't get any cuter, Helen asked the Ink Angel to be her mom. Helen's such a sweetheart.

I found it rather interesting how easy it is to think of the child side of my sister as Helen, and the adult side as Hailey. Then again, Helen was truly innocent. It's clear she can't recall a lot of Hailey's memory, but it was still very unclear to what extent it was. Regardless, it felt like Helen was an actual kid.

Speaking of Helen, she was now fast asleep in the Angel's lap.

"I can't believe that just happened." I said.