The life of Lexi Conway

Charlie Conway sat at home in darkness. He couldn't help but blame himself for what had occurred and no words could describe the heartache he was feeling.

Lexi wasn't only the boy's little sister she was his best friend.

He looked over to the tiny hockey stick he had on display in his bedroom.

It was his very first stick, he smiled sadly, remembering when he had received it.

"Hi Char Bear!" the voice of a three-year-old Lexi yelled as she ran over to her cousin. The boy had just turned four and the family had come over to celebrate his birthday.

"Lexi!" the boy cheered as he walked over to his favourite cousin, wrapping his arms around her and giving her a hug.

"Happy birthday! You're a big boy now" she said as she looked up at the boy.

Charlie just grinned at her "I'm always bigger than you Lexi" he teased, causing the girl to pout.

"One day, when I turn into a grown up I'll be bigger than you!" the girl said as she threw her hands around in the air.

The boy went to speak but was interrupted as Lexi's brother approached them, Isaac Summer was 8 years old and he was Charlie's second favourite cousin, to be fair though, he only had two cousins.

"Lexi, you forgot your present" the boy spoke, handing her the oddly wrapped package that was almost the size of her.

The Summers had all given the boy some hot wheels and money but Lexi had decided to use all of the money in her piggy bank (and a little help from her parents) to buy her cousin a special gift just from her.

The small girl stumbled slightly as she passed the gift to her cousin who took it grinning, his bigger size allowing him to hold the present with ease.

Charlie opened the present and let out a small gasp as he held in his hand a brand new hockey stick, it was perfectly his size and in his favourite colour, red.

Charlie had always wanted to play hockey, ever since he watched Lexi play with her friend Adam and the small girl knew that, she knew it could be something they could do together for the rest of their lives.

"Wow! I love it Lexi, thank you!" the boy grinned as she wrapped the girl in a hug.

"We can play together now Char, forever"

Charlie wiped the tears from his eyes as he stood, heading towards the hospital to say his final goodbyes to his sister.

Lexi walked through the park with her hands in her pockets of her jacket wrapped around her tightly.

It was Saturday afternoon and she was taking a walk with Alex Larson, one of her best friends.

They were talking quietly about hockey and the fact they were both upset that Lexi had to move to a different team.

"Oh look, it's the traitor. What are you doing with her, Larson?" David McGill sneered as he skated towards the two.

Lexi shook her head sadly and Alex rolled his eyes, gently squeezing the girl's hand to comfort her.

"She's not a traitor! She didn't have a choice to go to the Ducks. And, I'm hanging out with her because she's my best friend, McGill, not that you'd know much about friends." Alex shot back

Lexi let out sigh of frustration as the two argued. "I'm going to go home Al" the girl informed him, causing him to snap his attention to her.