CHAPTER SIX

star-crossed lovers?

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Alina Fairgrieves-Byers was beginning to learn that hiking was not her thing. Okay, it wasn't even hiking, it was just climbing a hill, but a hill that seemed higher than a mountain, stretching above her infinitely, so that no matter how many painful steps she took under the blazing sun, it would always be taller. Her hair was piled into a bun on the top of her head, wisps escaping and framing her face, and the back of her neck was soaked with sweat. She kept walking though, for Dustin, and because she was quite eager to meet whatever girl could stand being with him.

Okay, she was kidding. But she still was curious. Dustin had been trying desperately to get a girlfriend last year—from his crush on Max, one that had eventually dissolved into friendship, to all of the girls he'd tried to pick up at the Snow Ball, to his tendency to go up to random girls and strike up a conversation between classes—so Alina was happy he'd finally settled down. And even if Suzie wasn't some nerdy chic that was hotter than Phoebe Cates, she still must've been a good girlfriend, or Dustin wouldn't have wanted her to meet them.

"Aren't we high enough?" Lucas moaned now, panting. Strapped to his back was a bag of poles, and he seemed like he was struggling under its weight. Well, Alina was struggling too, and so were Max and Gabe. Dustin was carrying supplies, too, but he seemed too excited to care. The only people who weren't carrying anything were Mike and El, who were holding hands.

"Cerebro works best at a hundred meters," Dustin replied matter-of-factly. He was barely breaking a sweat. Lucas let out a sigh.

"You know," said Max, sweat glistening on her brow, "I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones."

"Yeah, but Suzie's Mormon."

"Oh, shit," said Lucas. "She doesn't have electricity?"

Max rolled her eyes. "That's the Amish."

Will still looked confused. "What are Mormons?"

"Super religious white people," Dustin explained. "They have electricity and cars and stuff, but... since I'm not Mormon, her parents would never approve. It's all a bit... Shakespearean."