CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

charcoal drawings

charcoal drawings

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

  There were some lasting effects of the sedative. Alina's eyes drooped as she pedalled to Mike's house, a sick, heavy tiredness sinking into her with every breath. It was an unnatural feeling, which proved her point even more. That she hadn't just been exhausted enough to fall asleep in the middle of eating (which happened to be a dangerous choking hazard). That she and El had been right, and there was something going on. And Mike was hopefully going to help them figure it out.

Today, it wasn't raining, and Alina was almost hot in the outfit she'd picked out for today—another one of the collection she'd bought at the mall: a paint-splattered lavender shirt and a pair of black shorts. At least she could see El and Max as clear as day, even though she probably could've made her way to Mike's house with her eyes closed (which had nothing to do with him and more about the fact that Lucas was right next door, and she'd pedalled his way many times).

At the Wheeler household, Max had barely touched the doorbell when it flew open, where they found an exhausted-looking Mike staring back at them with bags etched under his eyes. His hair stuck up in all directions, and he attempted to flatten it as he ushered them inside. "Good, you're all here. It took you long enough. Now come on, quick. The others are waiting downstairs."

"Jesus," Max muttered, but followed Mike anyway. Mrs. Wheeler was up here, and she looked surprised to see them, but before Alina could say anything but hello, she was already being practically shoved to the basement door. There was something seriously wrong. Nothing else would make Mike be so tense. He hadn't even looked flustered at the sight of his now ex-girlfriend.

In the basement, Lucas, Gabe, and Will were waiting. Lucas immediately stood up at the sight of Alina, but, although she was glad to see him, she went to her brother first. He looked the worse of the four, with his face pale and his eyes wide. He seemed glad she was safe, and hugged her tightly. Alina hugged him back, worry shooting through her. This really wasn't good.

After some quick, awkward greetings where El managed to avoid Mike's eyes the entire time, Will finally sat the party down. Alina found herself nestled by Lucas (and Mike, unfortunately) on the couch, Gabe and Max sat on the floor and El on the chair. Dustin was nowhere to be found. Apparently he hadn't answered Lucas's calls. Again.