CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

the shortest road trip ever

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The past two times Upside Down related shit had gone down, Alina had learned that wherever the party went, danger followed. When they stayed behind, said danger came to them, rearing its ugly head and clawing at their door, its fangs sharpened and prepared for them. So it was safe to say that Alina wasn't really expecting to have a good time at Murray's. Something would happen before they got there. And her friends might be in more danger if she was with them.

This was why, when she was supposed to say goodbye and good luck to her mother, she went to instead ask for permission to come with her on this venture. Hopper might not like it, but Alina was a warrior now, and her abilities would be extremely useful when it came to all of the Russians in the underground base. Besides, it would be a nice change to use them against non-flayed people instead of monsters. Although she wouldn't kill anyone, she would hurt them if they stood in her way. She was confident now that she could clear out the place without breaking a sweat, even with the pain flaring up in her ribs.

She headed up to Joyce now, who was already hugging Will, muttering things to the boy. Jonathan was busy being shown all of Murray's many keys to his home. That man was completely mental, whether he shut down the lab or not. He had more keys to his house than fingers and toes, probably.

Joyce smiled when she saw Alina, and added her into the hug, too, her body trembling a little. Alina bit her lip. It seemed that Joyce knew it was possible that things would go really wrong.

Eventually, she broke the embrace so as to speak to her kids clearly. They both towered over her, which was a little bittersweet, but there was no time to think about how much they'd grown now. Instead she just spoke. "Listen to me, I need to end this, but I will be back before you know it, okay?"

"I don't know, Mom," said Will, seeming as apprehensive about this as Alina.

Joyce grabbed his shoulders. "No, listen. You're gonna be safe there. It's—it's far away from all this. You both just stick close to your brother and—and do whatever he says. No matter what, okay?"