CHAPTER SEVEN

late nights with lucas

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

    Night settled over Hawkins like a blanket, and, away from the light pollution from the buildings, the six party members atop the hill could see the stars sparkling in the sky. A cool wind rushed over them as the heat from the day bled away, and Alina even found herself shivering as she lay in the grass, looking up at the sky. It had been hours since Dustin had begun his attempts at contacting his girlfriend, and he still hadn't received a response. It was a wonder his voice wasn't going hoarse by now.

The moon was full tonight, framed by silvery clouds, and Alina didn't find anything to be more beautiful. Well, except for the boy beside her. Their hands were intertwined, and they would occasionally point out a constellation they could spot, or sit up and wonder why Dustin was still trying. He was the only one who was standing—Max, Gabe and Will were all lying down as well. Max was beside Alina and Lucas, and Gabe and Will were together, their hands occasionally brushing against one another's before they jerked them away.

"What are we doing tomorrow?" Alina asked Lucas now, rolling over so as to face her boyfriend. Lucas, who seemed to have almost fallen into a doze, opened his eyes and shrugged. "I mean," Alina went on, "Will wants to play D&D, and I feel like Dustin would be okay with that—and besides, the whole party hasn't played in a while. Or we could see another movie; I'm pretty sure we can find one we haven't seen. We'd have to bring Gabe, though, to convince Steve to let us through. Or maybe we could go swimming."

"That's the best part about summer," said Lucas with a smile. "We can do anything we want."

Alina squeezed his hand tighter.

A few minutes later, Alina found herself getting restless. Even with the comfort of her boyfriend's hand in hers, Dustin's voice had become a drone in her ear, her legs kept getting munched on by hungry mosquitoes, and the grass was tickling the back of her neck uncomfortably. She didn't seem to be the only one who was getting sick of this, either. She could see Gabe shifting around his spot, and Max was looking like she was about to snap. Which she did, only a couple of seconds later, attempting to put a stop to this madness.