CHAPTER ELEVEN

dumping ass

dumping ass

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Max, El, and Alina decided to end their shopping trip with ice cream, so they found themselves heading to Scoops Ahoy. Steve was at the counter today, looking utterly bored, and quite like he wanted to go into the back of the store, where Alina assumed Robin was. She wondered if he'd seen Dustin since he'd gotten back—the two of them were closer than Steve was to any of the other party members, having bonded during the whole mess with Dart last year—but knew there would be time to catch up with him later, so didn't ask. Instead she just ordered a chocolate ice cream on a waffle cone, while Max ordered strawberry, and El, who took a lot longer to decide, ended up ordering vanilla with whipped cream and sprinkles.

The back window suddenly slid open, and there was Robin, excitement in her eyes. She spoke to Steve about something or other—Alina found herself focusing less on their conversation, and more on talking to Max and El, the latter still looking over the many toppings available. With a grin quirking on her face, Alina slung her arms around them, because today had been a golden day, and she needed to show her appreciation somehow.

"Thanks, guys," she said, her heart light. "For all of this. This is the most fun I've had in ages." She was so happy to have El back—El, the girl who'd stayed in her treehouse and stole her barbecue chips, who held Alina's hand and seemed fascinated with the most mundane things—that she had the momentary urge to leap into the air. Finally, finally, she wasn't with Mike. Finally, things could be what Alina had always imagined them to be—movie nights, sleepovers, baking cupcakes.

"Of course," said Max. "I think it's good to have a break. And I've definitely had fun, too."

"Me, too," said El, just as Steve whirled back around, the window to the back room closing, and gave them their ice creams.

"Okay," he said, "here you go, you got a strawberry, a chocolate, and then a vanilla with sprinkles, extra whipped cream." The trio took their ice creams, and El immediately immersed herself in hers, her eyes alight.