CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

the worst birthday ever

   . ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

 The distant sounds of fireworks popping and cracking outside Hopper's cabin were almost enough to distract Gabe as he sat clustered around El with the others. There was, apparently, a fair this year, set up by Mayor Kline, who, although he could be a bit corrupt sometimes, knew how to put on a good show. There would be hot dogs and fried dough and a Ferris Wheel and cotton candy and balloon popping games. Gabe had planned it all: after the pool party, he and his friends would make their way here, and their laughs would light up the bright, sparkling night. Because although Gabe knew America wasn't exactly a country to be celebrated—the centuries of slavery definitely weren't anything to be proud of—he could, as he'd done since he was a kid, pretend this was all for him.

Except, obviously, this hadn't happened. And Gabe wasn't one to be selfish and dwell endlessly on it when he had more important tasks at hand and more things to be afraid of—because the world was literally ending—but he had to admit it stung, just a little bit.

Alina had gone outside, claiming she needed some time to think, so it was El that was explaining everything she'd seen. The memories, deep in the crevices of Billy's mind, the source, and, most disturbingly, her interaction with Billy Hargrove.

She'd been alone, which meant that Alina had seen something else, something she didn't seem like she wanted to tell the others, and she'd been terrified. Honestly, they all were, but it seemed like what Alina had seen had been even worse. So outside she went.

El, too, was almost in tears as she continued to explain everything to the group, who were spread out as usual, with Lucas pacing, Max perched on the couch beside El, Will sitting on the arm, et cetera. Gabe was sitting on the floor against a chair, trying to breathe.

"He said he was building something," El said, her voice raspy. "That it was all for me."

"Building something," Max repeated. "Is he talking about the flayed?"

"He must be," said Nancy, leaning against the table by Jonathan. The two of them were both looking ragged, but who wasn't? Even though they hadn't specifically gone into Billy's mind, what they'd seen and done today was enough to dishevel anyone.