CHAPTER SIXTEEN

we're not kids anymore

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The rain was pouring even thicker, falling in thick, icy sheets as Gabe followed Mike and Will outside. Gabe could barely see through it, and he knew Will going out there would be a recipe for disaster, especially if he went out alone, and with no raincoat or any protection. Anyone who ventured a foot out into the open would be instantly drenched.

Mike seemed to be thinking the same thing. "Will, come on," he called. "You can't leave. It's raining." He moved toward the boy, trying to comfort him. "Listen, I said I was sorry. All right? It's a cool campaign. It's really cool. We're just not in the mood right now."

Gabe hovered at the door, unsure of what he could say. He wanted to help Will, but he felt that saying anything might make Will want to leave even more. So instead, he watched as Will whirled around, looking up at Mike. The height difference between them was astounding.

"Yeah, Mike. That's the problem," Will spat. His face was screwed up, and there were unshed tears dotting his eyes. "You guys are never in the mood anymore. You're ruining our party."

"That's not true!" Mike spluttered.

"Really? Where's Dustin right now?" Mike didn't respond. A twinge of guilt went through Gabe. He had no idea where the boy was, either. He didn't even know if he'd managed to contact Suzie.

"See?" Will said. "You don't know and you don't even care. And obviously he doesn't either and I don't blame him! You're destroying everything, and for what? So you can swap spit with some stupid girl?"

"El's not stupid!" bleated Mike. Then, with a slight snarl, "It's not my fault you don't like girls."

Even from here, Gabe could see Will's face turn a brilliant red, and more tears prickle his eyes. He turned, and for the first time, perhaps, saw Gabe standing at the doorway, afraid to speak, to move, and turned, if possible, even redder. Mike seemed to notice this, because his tone softened.