CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

a never-ending story

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Okay, so maybe they weren't out of the hot water yet. As Alina was sliding into the car followed by the rest of her friends, her heart hammering hard, the rev of an engine. Billy's engine. He was still out there, still in the parking lot, waiting for them, trying to prevent them from escaping. But couldn't do anything right now. He was too far away. They could easily speed right out of here and leave the mall behind, right?

Alina began to panic again, especially as Jonathan slid into the front seat, desperately trying to start the engine, but Nancy stayed outside, readying her gun in case Billy came any closer. His brows furrowed as he turned the keys, but it seemed like it was no good, because yet again, the engine sputtered, even with the new ignition cable. Everyone's hearts dropped. Alina warmed up her palms, letting anger flare through her. Billy Hargrove was flayed, but he was still human, which meant that she could hurt him. And because some of her anger was directed at him, she knew that she could.

Jonathan gasped as the engine, yet again, refused to turn on. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," he breathed. "Come on."

"Jonathan!" Alina had been staring at Billy's stationary car when it began to move towards them, tires screeching. It was going slow for now, but it could build up speed and ram itself right into their car. Then all that needed to be done was to pluck an injured Alina out of there and drag her inside, where it really would be the end. Her palms got hotter.

"Come on, come on," Jonathan slapped the steering wheel frantically.

"We gotta go!" Lucas screamed.

Alina heard gunshots outside and knew that they were Nancy's, that she was shooting at the car that continued to roll towards them, perhaps trying to pop a tire or even incapacitate Billy enough so he couldn't hurt them. But no matter how many bullets she rattled towards them, Billy was unfazed, continuing to drive at full speed now towards them. Jonathan continued to try and turn on the engine. It continued to sputter. They were doomed.