CHAPTER FIFTEEN

bloodstains

bloodstains

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Max led Alina and El through her house, which was not much smaller than Alina's own. They passed Max's bedroom and reached the end of the hallway, where a single door sat, ominous, a dark aura surrounding it. This was Billy's room. Max said she'd never been in there, because Billy had never allowed her too, and she wouldn't want to enter that room of horrors, anyway. But now, when it was necessary, Alina assumed she was just as curious as her friends were. And, probably, a little scared.

Max hesitated before opening the door to Billy's room. The stereo was playing, thudding with Billy's strange music, there were posters of bikini-clad women lining the walls, a collection of cigarette butts in a dish, and clothes piled onto chairs and the floor. It smelt like cigarettes and hairspray, and Alina wrinkled her nose in disgust. Max, on the other hand, just looked around. "Why do I get the feeling we're gonna find all kinds of wrong in here?"

"Because it's Billy," said Alina, following her inside, where the stench got stronger. Her heart was still pounding, but not as hard as it had been before, and she managed to take a look around, searching the top of his dresser (which contained nothing but hairspray and a couple of pencils). Max opened up his nightstand drawer but closed it almost immediately after.

"Ugh! Gag me with a spoon," she moaned. Alina didn't ask what she'd seen.

They did a thorough look through of Billy's room, ready to leave as soon as they heard a car rumble in the driveway. None of the girls knew exactly what they were looking for, but went by the mentality that they would know it when they saw it. At least, El and Alina did. Max still seemed skeptical about the whole thing.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), nothing was found in the bedroom. Alina was glad to leave the overbearing presence of Billy's room and check the bathroom next, following behind El and Max in a makeshift train. They didn't expect to find anything in there, but they'd decided to check just in case. But it turned out to be the scariest room in the house.