•Different•

Mort Rainey Imagine
~~~

Mort Rainey Imagine~~~

"Open your eyes." He whispers as the cold metal settles on your skin. Your eyes open and land on the necklace.

"It's gorgeous Mort." You smile and turn to hug him. "This is the best thing ever. Thank you."
"You're welcome." He releases you and leaves you to admire his gift.

Once he is out of sight, you snatch the necklace off. You open the cabinet behind the mirror and take out a bottle of pills.

There were too many in the bottle for him to be taking them everyday. You made your assumptions and sighed, closing the cabinet back.

"What do you say we go out to lunch? Like old times." He returned to the bathroom and smiled.
"Of course." You return the smile and his eyes travel to your neck.
"Where's the necklace?" His smile falters. You hold up your hand and show him.
"I just wanted to see it for myself you know?"
"Okay."

He walks away and you hurry to put the necklace back on, a tear running down your cheek. Ever since he came back from his little trip, he's been different. More sensitive to words, phrases, actions. His eyes would flicker and it seemed like a totally different person would take over.

It wasn't Mort. It wasn't your Mort.

You start to get ready for your lunch date when a loud crash catches your attention. You go to the source of the sound and find Mort standing over a broken television, a bat in hand.

"Mort? What happened?"
"Nothin. Go on now." He drops the bat and sits on a chair, looking into the distance at nothing particular.
"Have you been taking your meds?" Bad choice of words.

"What?" His head snaps up at you. His eyebrows furrowed and his jaw clenched.
"Never mind. I'm gonna finish getting ready."
"Yeah you do that."

You turn back to your bedroom and finish getting ready. Soon after, you head back down the stairs, your bag in hand.

"Ready?" Mort asks. You look around the room. The tv was gone and the bat was no where to be found.
"Yes." You smile and he does the same, taking your hand.

The whole time you were with him, he seemed normal. Like he didn't just break your television not even an hour before. You finish your dessert as Mort looks out the window. You place your fork down and decide it was a good time to have that talk.

You were in public surrounded by people. He wouldn't do anything to you in public if he were to change.

"Mort?"
"Yes sweetheart?"
"Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. Why do you ask?" He laughs lightly.

You start to bring your hand up to the necklace, running your fingers over the simple rose pendant.
"You've been acting different lately."
"Different?" You saw the flicker in his eyes before he squeezed them shut, shaking his head.

"Yes." You became cautious. "Every since you came back. You're just not you anymore."

He ran his hand over his face and sighed.
"Is that so?"
"Mort I just want my husband back."
"I'm right here honey."
"You're not."

You shake your head as he chuckles darkly. Here it goes. He looks up slowly, pushing his glasses up his nose and fixing his posture.

"You sure you want to do this right now? Right here?" He tilts his head.
"I miss you Mort. The real you." He laughs again, taking a sip of his drink.
"I see why he loves you so much. You're funny."
"This isn't a joke."

He scoots his chair beside yours and puts his arm around the back of it. His hand travels up to your throat, gripping it enough to catch you off guard. His wedding ring pressed into your neck and you were sure you would see it later.

"How about we have this conversation at home? Hmm?" His eyes flicker again and he lets you go.

You take a deep breath, moving away from him.
"I can't do this." You take the necklace off and place it on the table, grabbing your bag and walking away.
"Y/N! Wait! Baby I'm sorry!" He yells after you but you're too far to hear him.

"No. No. What did you do?" He whispered to himself, looking at his hands. I only did what you wouldn't.

Word count: 728