chapter 5

"Yeah I suppose I could do that. All that salmon for sixty bucks and a meal for two?" The owner of the local restraunt held out his hand to seal the deal.

"Make it a meal for three. My dog's waiting outside." He knodded and I grasped his hand in a firm shake.

"Awesome." He bent down and picked up my ice chest packed with fresh Salmon meat. "You guys go ahead and take a seat. I'll be right back to take care of y'all."

"Alright thanks." Loki and I walked towards the back of the dining room to grab a table further from the cold door. The Casper Grill is basically the only place in town to hang out. It's the only restraunt which housed the only bar, making it the perfect place to look for trading opportunity (after eating of course).

Since Loki can once again practice magic without any hindrance, he decided to disguise himself. He changed his hair to look short and light brown. That was the biggest change besides his clothes, which he changed to look like any other Alaskan in town; jeans and boots on the bottom, a huge leather coat on top. It was fascinating. He really had an amazing ability to blend in when he wanted, with his appearance and his actions. And while I was sitting there with him, I almost forgot who it was that I was actually sitting with.

"What sounds good to you?" I asked him as he skimmed over the menu.

"Anything besides fish. Other than that, I'm not picky." He said puting the menu down. Yeah I can't blame him for that insult. With fish being one of the main food sources out here, it's easy to get tired of.

"Hm, well how long have you been on earth? Surely you must have some kind of popular food in mind?"

"I arrived here a few weeks ago. And yes, there were a few dishes I liked, but I couldn't tell you what they were called."

"Hm, okay leave it to me." I said as the restraunt owner (I think his name is Ruben) came back to take our order. I took Loki's menu and handed them both to Ruben. "Can we just get two Ghost Burgers and a Husky Helper?"

He nodded while writing the order down. "And did you want anything to drink?"

"Just hot coffee. Thanks...Ruben?"

He nodded. "Yeah it's Ruben. And if I remember correctly, your name's Lax right?"

"Lex." I corrected him. "I'm only in town once in a blue moon."

"Oh yeah? What for?"

"Usually just gas. But my cousin here just moved in with me and he needs some basic bush supplies, which reminds me. Do you know anybody in town that would want Beaver and deer pelts? That's all I've got left to trade."

"Hm." He reached up and rubbed his beard in thought. "Well there's a new leather shop just down the road. Came in during summer. Now, I don't know about trading, but she might buy them off of you."

"Perfect."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Two hundred isn't even worth the labor I put into skinning them!"

"Sorry, but that's all I can offer. I just don't have a huge need for beaver and deer hides. If it were a bear hide I could offer you more but I have to be able to make a profit myself." I crossed my arms. This woman was new here, so I assume she hadn't learned the art of bartering yet. Usually when one barters, they offer a price, the other party makes a counter offer, and eventually they meet somewhere in the middle. Not this woman. She wouldn't budge from her skimpy dollar amount. She looked to be in her mid fifties with colorful, gypsy-looking clothes and braided hair. Definitely someone you'd find in a craft shop.