Chapter 12

Okay so first of all you guys thank you for sticking around this long. It's because of y'all that I'm still publishing chapters and making the edits. I hope y'all have enjoyed Final Frontier thus far and will continue to do so! Love y'all,
~MJ

---------------------

The days grew longer once again

The days grew longer once again. With every extra minute of daylight, every icicle that fell from the roof, every small critter that creeped out of its hole, winter seemed to vanish before our eyes.

The ground was still covered in snow however, and the water was still frozen over, so Loki still had a while to wait before starting his wild goose chase in the miserably cold channel. I had done an awful lot of thinking about what to do with the Tesseract. I could secretly drop it back in the water and let him find it as if it was there the whole time. I could leave it where it was, and keep Loki looking for all eternity. Or I could give it to Loki and tell him the truth.

There were pros and cons to every option. If I sneak it back in the water, he'd have no idea I hid it from him all this time, but then he'd leave me here alone again. That sounds really selfish...okay, it was really selfish, but what can I say? I didn't want my only friend to run towards his own demise.

Leaving it where I had carefully hidden it would keep him here, but I would still run the risk of him accidently finding it one day, and murdering me out of sheer fury.

Or I could fess up, be an honest friend, and tell him the truth...which in turn would probably end our friendship.

I just didn't know what to do! It's not like I had anyone else out here to help me work out my problems. Such luxeries are hard to come by in the bush. I was all alone, without even the memories of my parents' wisdom to help guide me. Granted I have a few memories, but not enough to actually learn from!

Loki and I were still in a painfully awkward state of civil tension. We got along fine, we had to! But every time we started to grow close again, he'd push me away and put on a cold, stoic fascad. He was still very polite and courteous however. He helped cut dead trees to chop into firewood. He helped with gathering and hunting for food. He always stayed on his side of the bed and cleaned up after himself. He submitted to my authority simply because he understood that I knew what I was doing out here. He was literally the best roommate anyone could ask for. But he was always so strained and distant, and it frustrated me to no end!

I told myself that it was just my hormones. After living a reclusive, celibate, monk-like existence for so long, it makes sense that whatever relatively attractive dude showed up at my doorstep, I'd have feelings towards him.

But was it really just chemicals and endorphins?

I was royally confused.

And that's why, for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to go for a walk to clear my head.