Chapter 2 - Rude

Hikari POV

Zuko, Iroh, and I walk off the ship, looking around I follow them not really paying attention to where we were going. Iroh looks at Zuko, "You mean the Avatar."

He stops looking down at his Uncle, "Don't mention his name on these docks. Once word gets out that he's alive, every fire bender will be out looking for him, and I don't want anyone getting in the way."

"Getting in the way of what? Prince Zuku."

Looking over, I see a tall man with brown hair walking over to us. 

Zuko looks at him, "Captin Zhao."

Standing in front of us he corrects him, "It's commander now."

Looking at Iroh, then me he raises an eyebrow, "And who is this."

Not feeling comfortable around him, I stay quiet, staying behind Iroh's peaceful presence. Deciding to speak up Iroh looks at him, "Don't mind her, she's just a companion who decided to join us." 

Looking at me we have a stare-off, scoffing silently he nods, "Very well."

"The Fire Lord's brother and son, and their guest are welcome anytime. What brings you to my harbor?"

Iroh answers him, "Our ship is being repaired."

He looks at the ship, "That's quite a bit of damage."

Zuko's tone shifts, "Yes, you wouldn't believe what happened. Uncle, tell Commander Zhao what happened."

Acting a bit strange I look down at him, "Yes, I will do that. It was incredible. What, did we crash or something?"

I pick up where they left off, "Yes, as we were sailing a large mountain of ice fell into the sea. Making the waves splash around, the ship kept rocking on the ice around us. It was brutal, but we managed to make it here on time. Right Iroh?"

He looks and me and nods, "Yes, you should have seen it! Nature taking its course."

Commander Zhao looks at us a bit funny, "You must regale me with all the thrilling details."

Leaning in close to Zuko he asks, "Join me for a drink?"

Moving away from him he responds, "Sorry, but we have to go."

Gently grabbing Zuko's shoulder, Iroh speaks up. "Prince Zuko, show commander Zhao your respect."

Turning towards the commander he smiles, "We would be honored to join you. Do you have any Ginseng Tea? It's my favorite."

I walk behind Iroh, hoping to also drink some tea to calm my nerves. In the tent, I sip my tea looking around the large space as I listen to the Fire Nation's plan. They seem pretty rude for going on people's land and taking over. 

Hearing the sound of crashing, I look to see a flustered Iroh, I giggle a bit.

"Uh.. my fault entirely." He moves away, smiling at him I pour him some tea to calm his nerves. Watching Zuko converse with Commander Zhao, I watch as he lies to the commander. Whoever this Avatar person is he must be really important, I'll have to ask Iroh about him later.

Before Zuko could leave, Zhao's guards stop him, while one appears from the shadows. "Commander Zhao's we interrogated with the crew as instructed. They confirmed that Prince Zuko had the Avatar in custody but let him escape."

His voice lowers, "Now remind me, how exactly was your ship damaged?"

Looking at Iroh he gives me a reassuring smile, standing next to him we watch as Zuko tells Zhao everything that happened. 

"So a 12-year-old boy bested you and your fire benders. You're more pathetic than I thought."

Zuko counters his harsh words, "I underestimated him once, but it will not happen again."

Looking out the window he says, "No, it will not, because you won't have a second chance."

He speaks up, "Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for two years, and I--"

He cuts him off, "And You failed." Using his fire to silence him, "Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hand. He's mine now."

Zuko tries to attack him, but Zhao's guards hold him back. "Keep them here."

Walking away Zuko kicks the small table, making Iroh as for more tea. After some time Zhao returns, "My search party is ready, once I'm out to sea, my guards will escort you back to your ship and you will be free to go."

Zuko continues to look forward, "Why are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?"

This makes Zhao laugh, "You? Stop me? Impossible."

This makes Zuko stand, "Don't underestimate me, Zhao. I will capture the Avatar before you."

Iroh stands, "Prince Zuko, that's enough."

His words are pushed away as Zhao continues to taunt him, "You can't compete with me. I have hundreds of warships under my command. And you, you're just a banished prince, no home, no Allies. Your own father doesn't even want you."

He glares at him, "You're wrong. Once I deliver the Avatar to my father, he will welcome me home with honor and restore my rightful place on the throne."

"If your father really wanted you home, he would have let you return by now, Avatar, or no Avatar."

Reflecting on his words, they seem true, I don't think parents should be like Zuko's.

He continues, "But in the eyes, you are a failure and a disgrace to the fire nation. 

"That's not true!"

"You have the scar to prove it."

Anger fills my body at the thought of Zuko's father doing that to him. Zuko gets close to his face, "Ahh! Maybe you'd like one to match!" 

"Is that a challenge?"

"An Agni Kai. At Sunset."

"Very Well. It's a shame your father won't be here to watch me humiliate you. I guess your Uncle and your guest will do."

Iroh stands, "Prince Zuko, have you forgotten what happened the last time you dueled a master"

"I will never forget."

At sunset, I stand on the sidelines waiting for Iroh as he gives Zuko some words of advice. Once Iroh stands beside me the battle begins. I watch them bend in aw, as they try to one-up each other with there skill and wisdom. Throughout the fight Iroh couches Zuko, aiding him in his battle. I cheer him on as he continues to fight him. 

Finally getting the one up on him, Zuko brings Zhao to his back. Aiming for the final blow he shows him mercy. "Next time you get in my way, I promise, I won't hold back."

Turning around he walks off, seeing Zhao rise he aims his flames at him. Like second nature I jump in front of him, igniting white flames from my hand. As they overpower Zhao's flames, grabbing his foot I toss him back, keeping my stance in case he gets up. 

While Iroh holds Zuko back I stand tall glaring at Zhao, "So this is how a Commander acts in defeat? Pitiful, I've seen enough venom spit from your words and actions that I hope you burn in your disrespect and greed. Even at his lowest, Zuko shows more honor than the likes of you. Thank you for the tea, it was the only good thing in your presence."

Walking away, I ignore the shocked faces of the others around me, Zuko and Iroh soon follow as we exit the ring. 

"Hikari, did you really mean that?"

I nod, "Of course, even though I've known you for such little time it feels like I've known you forever. And your actions today show that your honor hasn't left your side. Puls that commander was rude!"

Zuko looks away, mumbling a small thank you.