Chapter 3 - I'm Sorry

Hikari POV

Standing on the edge of the rail, I stare at the sea below, not letting the cold wind bother me. Humming a tune I stretch out my hand, igniting a white flame. Smiling a bit I move it around between my fingers. Letting it dance, "Hikari?"

Turning around I see Iroh smiling at me, "Good morning, what brings you out here on this cool day?"

He asks, "I would like to see you spare with one of our soldiers, I was impressed with the skill you showed the other day with the Commander."

I think for a moment, "Sure."

Nodding he calls one of the guards over, standing in front of me I bow a bit. "Thank you for sparing with me."

Giving me a small nod we both get in our fighting stance, waiting a moment he attacks first. Redirecting his moves and fire, I keep him on his toes. Seeing that he was growing frustrated I pull his foot towards me, making him fall on his back I aim my fist at him.

"I surrender!"

Extending my hand I help him up, nodding he does the same as he walks off. Looking at Iroh he begins to clap, "That was impressive but may I ask, why didn't you fire bend?"

I think for a moment, "I guess I didn't feel the need to, I'm sorry if that's what you wanted to see. I kinda got caught up in the moment."

He shakes his head, "That's quite alright, it's nice to see a bender who values balance in the skills of bending and skills of self. Now, let's eat something."

Smiling I follow him to a small room, Zuko sits in a robe of red silk, a frown edged on his features. Sitting across from him with Iroh next to me, the server places a plate of fish on the table. He begins to inform Zuko of a lead, that the Avatar is on Kyoshi Island, the name seems familiar but I bush it off.

Fuming but determined Zuko walks off, taking two pieces of fish Iroh politely asks Zuko if he's going to finish his portion. This leads to Zuko taking the fish all together, frowning, I slide Iroh my place of fish. His eyes sparkle, "It's so nice to have a kind soul nearby!" Giggling a bit, I sip my tea, munching on a few pieces of bread.

Hours go by and we finally make it to the coast of Kyoshi Island. As soon as we land, Zuko and a couple of his men ride on Rhinos towards the village. Standing on the edge I watch from afar, having a bad feeling as the town starts to burn. Smoke fills the sky, frowning I jump off the boat. Feeling the sand and snow on my feet I rush to the village. Seeing the destruction and flames, my heartaches for the people who live here.

Turning around I see a statue of a woman with two fans, her faces so familiar I take a deep breath. Seeing a furry thing fly over my head I face the town, keeping my hands together I focus on the heat around me. Opening my eyes, I take a deep breath, watching the flames enter my mouth like the air I breathe.

Holding it in, I face the sky, releasing the fire like a dragon. Watching the flames slowly but surely vanish in the air I look at the destruction around me. Turning back to look at the burnt statue I put my hands together and bow.

"I'm sorry for what happened to your home."

Seeing the other fire benders on Zuko's ship leave, I follow after them, looking at the town one last time I see women in green. Mouthing a last sorry, I rush off back to the ship standing on the edge of the deck as we sails away.

Feeling a calm presence behind me I speak, "While fire represents power, it pains me to see it bending with such destruction on innocent people."

Walking next to me Iroh places his hand on my back, "It pains me as well, but this won't last forever. Like water, this world will change as it has since the beginning of time. Now let's have some tea, I'll teach you how to play Pai Sho."

I smile at him, "I would like that."