Chapter 10

"An officer's coming tommorow to see how you're doing," was what Sofia was informed by Vincent during dinner.

I'll come by in a week or two's time to see how you're finding it.

Worrying left and right about one thing after another meant that Sofia had completely forgotten about a certain officer! Before she had even came to this place, she had planned on leaving as soon as possible, but now she wasn't so sure.

What was she going to tell Mel?

Her family might be a mafia?

They know about the abuse she suffered?

That the Carmine brothers carried as many secrets as she did?

Or maybe the fact that she was starting to enjoy it here and wasn't so determined to leave now. Sofia hated to admit it. The feeling of being loved, being treated as precious and with affection may be new to her, however it was growing on her quickly.

She was still looking forward to seeing Mel though, she was a kind woman who didn't judge her even when she saw the place Sofia used to live in and had kept her promise on visiting the girl to make sure she was alright.

It was going to be difficult, though she decided not to stress on it any longer and left it at that.

The next day for the first time, Sofia looked forward to go to school. She was beginning to get fond of the new friends that she had made. 

Her first morning lesson was regrettably P.E. 

How she hated exercise. She was planning on changing in the toilets so nobody would see her bruises. So she found it strange when the teacher had asked to see her before she went to get changed.

"Sofia, your guardian rang into school to say you're too injured to participate, so you can skip this and the next few P.E. lessons until you recover."

"Can I...go to the music rooms then?"

"Go ahead."

The weird, pleasant feeling inside her bloomed again and she went to tell Nicole, who was in this class as well.

"Lucky! Ms Davis always loves to make us run around until we drop."

"That doesn't sound very fun."

Nicole agreed, "so, where are you gonna go?"

"Music room."

"Nice," she nudged Sofia gently, "by the way why were you going to change in the toilets?"

She panicked and didn't respond, although her friend seemed to get the message and commenced to ramble in guilt.

"It's fine! I just wanted to say that they're really gross and that the next time you go there be careful about where you keep your stuff cuz the cleaners do a terrible job of sanitizing the place."

"Ok..."

"Miss Carter! I don't believe you have permission to miss lesson as well, or are you gonna make up for it during lunch?"

Nicole rolled her eyes at the Ms Davis and waved at Sofia as she ran to the changing rooms.

After that she had history with Vera and Martin. It was mostly them just answering questions in silence since it was a mini-test, though near the end they could get into groups and make a poster on the events they were learning.

As Vera got up to get stuff for their poster, Martin turned to Sofia with a questionable look on his face.

"Sof, yesterday when I asked Vera some questions about you, she refused to answer and said to not bring it up. If it's ok, can I?"