Chapter 12

Nicole led the girls to the living room, where the others were already there. Owen and Martin were fighting over what movie to watch and Elias was taking a nap in the corner. 

The room had blankets and cushions everywhere and a table at the front which held several snacks and drinks. The curtains were drawn and it felt like being in a mini cinema room.

"Martin and Owen haven't stopped fighting over the remote since they got here and I keep trying to wake up Eli but he keeps on going back to sleep as soon as I put my attention on something else!" Nicole groaned, "maybe I shouldn't have invited the boys."

Vera gave a reassuring side hug to the stressed girl, "don't worry, I've got it from here."

The girl who Sofia had always thought of as bashful and sweet strode in confidently and within seconds, managed to properly wake up Elias by pouring a cup of cold water on him. Once they saw the sight, Martin and Owen started laughing and Vera took advantage of them being distracted to snatch the remote from their grasp.

Surprisingly, nobody even complained or argued back!

Nicole must have seen the confusion on Sofia's face because she leaned in and spoke quietly, "Vera's really nice, but when she gets mad it's absolutely terrifying so usually everyone listens to and follows what she says."

She tilted her head, "what if she says to do something bad though?"

The other girl giggled, "Sofia she's the one whose getting us all out of trouble! Besides, Vera would never do something to actually hurt us, she's our friend."

The last part of what Nicole said made the girl realise how different her friends' worlds were compared to hers. She had never just trusted someone because she genuinely believed that they only wanted good for her. Some part of her also felt guilty for thinking that about Vera, the girl who became her first friend.

She decided to not ponder on the matter any longer and went to greet the boys. Nicole went to get a towel for Elias and the others were still deciding on what to watch.

"Hey, I've got an idea!" Everyone turned to look at Martin who had just spoken.

Owen snorted, "it's probably a stupid one."

The other boy glowered at him for the remark, however moved on from it quickly.

"Why don't we let Sof pick?"

There was a pause before a chorus of approvals.

Vera smiled, "it is her first time hanging out with us outside of school, so why not?"

"As long as I don't have to hear anymore of Martin and Owen bickering." Spoke Elias as he dried his hair with the towel Nicole handed him.

Everyone else nodded.

"Great! Here's the remote."

Sofia stared at the remote placed in her hand as she scrolled through the movie categories. She didn't really know what each of her friends were into, then again it was her choosing, so maybe she should go with what she likes the most?

"What about a horror movie?"

Vera nodded, "well apart from Martin and Owen, the rest of us don't mind watching them."

"Hey!", Owen huffed, "what's that supposed to mean?!"

"It means that you two are scaredy-cats." Replied Elias nonchalantly whilst eating popcorn.

Martin didn't make a big deal out of it and she put the first one she found and hoped it would be a good one.

Throughout the movie Elias, Nicole and Sofia were unfazed and Vera was the same apart from when there were sudden jumpscares. Martin clutched onto his girlfriend like his life depended on it and the girl was quite sure that Owen had missed most of the film from hiding behind a large cushion.