13. fun 'n games

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

FUN 'N GAMES

The carnival had barely begun when Kaspian met with his friends, only around twelve people were in sight.

"Happy birthday," Kaspian said to Stella, pulling her in for a hug. "Finally eighteen. It's a big day. Literally all of us were eighteen except for you, this must be so exciting," Kaspian drawled, slightly ruffling up her hair.

"I'm not eighteen yet!" Atreya chirped, and Stella gave him a fist bump. "Wait, you're eighteen now, so technically we shouldn't be fist bumping."

Stella rolled her eyes. "Give me one anyway, it's my birthday, bitch."

"Star, maybe you should stop swearing when there are so many kids around?" Phoenix suggested, a smile playing on his lips.

"Never really understood the point of sheltering kids from swearing, to be honest. Like, they're going to learn anyway. They might as well learn to not think of it as words of taboo, and think of it as something that they can do, but only when the situation calls for it," Rowan suddenly commented, giving Kaspian a small smile as a form of acknowledgement.

Stella beamed, and turned to Kaspian, mouthing, "Perfect for each other."

Kaspian raised a subtle middle finger at her, just as North showed up.

"Happy birthday!" They wrapped her up in a tight hug, squeezing her. "Now we're all eighteen!"

"Atreya isn't," Phoenix and Rowan said in unison.

"Okay, Parent Trap." North huffed and asked, "Hey, where's Zahra?"

Phoenix laced his fingers with Stella's, bringing her hand to his mouth. "Zahra couldn't make it. She's sick, but we'll go see her later."

That was news to Kaspian. Unlocking his phone, he sent a text to Zahra, receiving an immediate reply.

kasablanca -
heard you're sick?? ): hope you get better soon <3

zahra -
aw thanks kas ahhahh my body just decided it would be a great time to get a fever today rip i hate myself

zahra -
send me a picture of stella !! she's not sending me anything good, she's a fucker  ://

Slyly raising his phone, Kaspian took a picture. What he didn't realise was that the flash was on, and so was the camera shutter sound. Oh my god.

"Who are you creeping on?" Rowan questioned all of a sudden, causing Kaspian to jump.

"Stella. And you need to stop creeping on me. You always just pop up out of nowhere." Only then did Kaspian take in Rowan's appearance. "You look nice."

"You're creeping on Stella? That's a bit odd, don't you think? Her boyfriend is literally right there." Kaspian showed Rowan the messages that Zahra sent him, causing his mouth to form an o-shape. "And, thank you! I put in some effort today."

All of them walked into the carnival, immediately greeted by rollercoasters and stalls. The bright pink and orange of the paint on the rides was enough to make Kaspian's head spin. A mob of people had arrived, and the place was slowly getting crowded, chatter filling the air.

Shit, it's been so fucking long since I've been here. Everything is exactly the same.

A carnival was held every year in Ohio, right before Christmas, to raise funds for an orphanage. Kaspian hadn't been there since he was thirteen.