16. wreck

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

WRECK

Kaspian's dad called him two days before his break ended.

He knew better than to ignore the call, so he picked up, recognising the number from the last time his father had called.

"Kaspian, I want you to meet me today," his dad said, no greeting, straight to the point. His voice was gruff, like he'd been smoking. Kaspian was sure that he had.

"I have plans," Kaspian tried, knowing that no matter how many excuses he made up, none of them would work. His dad always managed to get his own way.

"Cancel them. Meet me at that park near your house at three o'clock. I need to see you."

Kaspian stared at his phone, wondering what his father could possibly want from him. He felt like he was in a fucking coming of age film, and this was the scene where he'd be lying on the bed, tossing a baseball up in the air, contemplating life.

Too bad he didn't know how to play baseball.

After showering, Kaspian let his mom know he was going out, and he left the house. He left an hour early, and found himself walking to the library instead.

Evelyn's face lit up the moment she saw Kaspian, and he gave her a small smile, one which she saw right through. "What's wrong?"

Shaking his head, Kaspian just sat down next to her. The library was surprisingly full, an unusual scene, considering barely anyone borrowed books anymore. Kaspian rested his head on one hand, slowly blowing air out of his mouth, as he looked at the screensaver on Evelyn's desktop, watching it change from one landscape to another.

Kaspian didn't always go to the library to borrow books, or even talk to Evelyn. Sometimes, he would just sit there, like today, and do nothing. He liked being around books, and Evelyn, and he occassionally even liked to watch the people who came to the library. He wished he could work at the library, but Evelyn always said that he shouldn't waste his time working at a place that won't even pay him. It was a valid point, but Kaspian still asked every time he visited the library.

Once it turned three o'clock, Kaspian left the library, making himself late on purpose. His phone buzzed with a message just four minutes later, a message from his father, asking him where he was. Kaspian groaned in irritation, and pocketed his phone.

He decided to take the long route to the park.

Kaspian reached the park at exactly three thirty.

His eyes immediately fell on his father, who was sitting on a bench, gazing off into the distance. The only thing that had changed since the last time he saw his father— which was nearly eleven months ago— was his hair, which looked more grey than Kaspian remembered.

"You look like a pedophile watching the children play," Kaspian stated, making his way over to him.

His father cleared his throat. "Kaspian. Uh— son."

Kaspian refrained from laughing out loud. "What did you want to talk about?"

There was way too much chatter in the park for Kaspian to concentrate. That, paired with his heart thundering in his ears, made Kaspian want to pull his fucking hair out. His skin felt as if it was on fire, as he took a seat on the bench.

"How are you?"

Scoffing, Kaspian moved slightly away from his father. "Fuck off. Just tell me what you want."