Chap 9

Once both were left alone, Nandini initiated the conversation, "Someone is looking hawttt! Planning to kill all the girls already?!" she said in a seductive tone to tease him.

Manik's eyes widened at that. But then he noticed that glint of mischief in her eyes and replied laughung, "Ohho look who's talking. Are you the same old Nandini, who used to tease me??Life is so unpredictable na?"

"Anyways, thank you Miss looking-not-so-beautiful. I wish I could say it for you too.. but, tch.", he said giggling.

"Huh. Few people just can't digest compliments or rather give compliments I think.", she said rolling her eyes. After a moment of silence, she added, "Sooo you didn't let me down huh?!", in a teasing, sugar coated tone.

He laughed slightly and thought to go with the flow, "Yaa. Woh kya hai na, Manik Malhotra never lets his frandssss down. Especially when it's my long lost biggest tease. Moreover you toh are my new friend na, so I couldn't just let that happen."

Nandini shook her head at that, when Manik asked in a serious, caring tone, "By the way, had a talk with Aryaman yet?"

She nodded in the negative, "Nah! Not yet." And informed, "He might tell me today.. He had asked to meet him at the lawn outside after dinner.. let's see."

Manik simply nodded. Just then Cabir jumped in between, "What's up chudails & flippers?!"

"Flippers? Who flipped here??", Nandini asked.

"I'm talking about this person, Nandu.", he said pointing at Manik.

"Whattt?", asked a surprised Manik.

"Don't act innocent mere bhai."

Manik raised his brows with a bored reaction, when Cabir himself added melodramatically, "You've changed so much, brother. It feels, I just don't know this guy. Where's my old Manik? Where did you kidnap him???"

"Just cut the crap ok! Stop being a drama queen and come to the point directly."

Nandini who was a silent spectator until now, giggled saying, "True that."

"No one understands my pain.", said Cabir while wiping his invisible tears.

Both Manik and Nandini glared at him.

Cabir straightened himself and said, "Arre! The Manik The Malhotra coming to a grand gathering without any blackmails or threats?!! Unbelievable much!"

Manik cringed his brows and started looking here and there when his eyes landed on her, she was about to tell him the reason. But Manik immediately said, "Abb... it's nothing Cabir. Just thought of attending it, it had been years.."

And eyed Nandini not to say anything, and she mouthed a 'why', not understanding what he was up to.

Cabir looked at their exchange of reactions and his not-so-logically-acceptable reason, and said dramatically hiding his laughter, "Let it be, my pal. I understand."

A friend of Nandini approached them, and dragged her to meet her parents. As she left, Manik quickly informed, he is going to get himself a drink. Just a silly attempt to avoid Cabir's interrogation session.

Cabir held his hand to stop him, "Why so soon bro? The party has just started.", said Cabir with a smirk. And added, "So, what's up?"

"Nothing! Nothing's up.", he shrugged.

"Is it so?"

Manik simply shrugged, nodinghis head in affirmative.

"Ok if you say so. Cool!"

People started gathering up, filling up the huge party hall and increasing the sounds around, of people greeting, laughing, gossiping and what not. The slow music that was playing when he entered earlier, was now almost inaudible for all those noises.

Cabir had gone to meet some of his coursemates, and maybe even forgot he had left his friend back saying 5 minutes. Not that Manik was complaining. He was happy indeed that Cabir is not only being with him, but also giving time to his other friends.

Manik chose to stand by the bar, roaming his eyes across the hall, the people and greeted his mates and seniors whose eyes met with him.

An unknowing smile adorned his face as he saw her from a distance, laughing her heart out with her friends.

He hadn't noticed Aryaman, son of Rear Admiral Khurrana anywhere till now, so he guessed he mightn't have arrived yet.

Most of the senior officers' children were like that only. They had more attitude than their parents. They used to arrive the venues after the Chief of Naval Staff arrives the party and takes his place, whereas the rule was to be present and take seats before the Chief arrives.

He noticed Aryaman entering the hall with full attitude. Brats like him least cared about such rules, such formalities. And used to enter the hall with full attitude, arrogance as if they owned that place.

Manik least cared about people with such mentality..

Anyways, the buffet counter opened, two different counters for male & female. People served themselves patiently, giving space to the earlier one before, unlike normal buffet servings, where people literally gathers up together, pushes one another to serve themselves first.. Manik liked this thing a lot about defense parties.

He wasn't hungry, so he sat by a table, designated for junior officers with Cabir and few coursemates.

Nandini served herself and was returning back to her table, which she and her friends had occupied, when her gown got stuck in her high heels.

She was about to trip, when she felt a strong masculine grip on her, preventing her from falling straight on the ground.

She looked up at her saviour as he whispered, "Be careful!"

She smiled brightly looking at that handsome face staring at her with concern in his eyes, "Thanks!! You're a saviour."

He blinked his eyes with a slight smile.

Manik had his eyes on her. And since the famales' food counter was almost adjacent to his table, thus could save her immediately.

"Do I need to take you to your seat?"

"No it's fine! I'm ok. Thanks again!", she said with a smile, as slight red hue adorned her cheeks seeing the care in his eyes.

Almost an hour later, Aryaman approached Nandini and asked her to join him to the lawn.

Without any question, she followed him bidding her friends.

Once they reached the lawn, he took her to a bench and asked her to take a seat and himself sat down beside her.

He didn't say anything for a couple of minutes, Nandini broke the silence, "Umm you wanted to say something, Aryaman?"

He looked here and there saying, "Yaa.. actually, I wanted to share something with you.. ah.."

"Are you ok? We are friends Aryaman, you can share anything with me."

After a moment of silence he said, "It's actually, I like you Nandini. I really really like you. I-"

Nandini cut him in between, "What??"

"Yes! I like you a lot.. Infact I think what I feel for you is something more than just liking.."

"You are a friend of mine Aryaman, that's it. I don't want anything more than that between us, please."

"I understand, but you can give us a chance right?"

"What 'chance'? What 'us'? Where did this feeling of yours come from, between the friendship?"

He kept telling her again and again how deeply he felt for her, where as, she was trying to make him understand her point of view which he wasn't really ready to understand.

Being frustrated with his continuous nagging, she blurted, "I like Manik!"

~•~