Chap 11

Elder officers started leaving the floor with their wives being tired. And now it was just youngsters occupying the dance floor with their respective partners.

Mr and Mrs Rear Admiral Anant Murthy too took their reserved sofas for senior officers at the front and were busy chatting with their fellows when Tara's eyes fell on the couple, she never thought she could ever see. The couple was so much lost into themselves, that they were surely oblivious of the eyes on them.

Tara squealed in joy and hurried to Anant to show him that 'once in a blue moon' view, as they thought it would be.

Anant's eyes almost bulged out of sockets seeing them, together. The same couple, they always hoped to end up together with each other, Manik and Nandini. 

Not that they hadn't seen her dancing with Aryaman, they were more into laughing and chatting on the dance floor. They were just friends, and it was clearly visible. Even she herself had cleared it to them.

But what they were now seeing, was totally opposite. The two seemed so much lost into each other. No talks, no laughter, nothing. As if their eyes were enough to do it all.

Smiles of admiration crept on the elders' face, as they diverted their gaze, not willing to invade their privacy any further. Not before mentally blessing them though.

 Manik and Nandini didn't notice when the music stopped.

Nandini got back to the real world when lights were turned on. She looked at her surroundings, and saw the couples were leaving the floor.  She looked back at him just to find him still looking at her so fondly.

Blood rushed to her cheeks as she lowered her gaze to the floor.

"Manik..", she whispered looking back at him.

Getting no response, she slightly pushed him with her hands which were resting on his torso, "Manikk!", a bit loudly this time.

"Haan?", then looked here and there to find the floor empty and everyone were getting out of the hall. To gather on the open lawn most probably, as he thought.

Looking back at her, he found his hands still placed on her lower back. He quickly withdrew his hands, moving one step back, pulling his eyes away from her and quickly murmured a 'sorry'.

"Huh? Sorry??!", she chuckled and added, "Why sorry?"

He snapped his eyes on her, as if she didn't know why he was sorry. And replied, "Because.. err.. the way I wa-"

He couldn't continue further as she laughed loudly at that, and pulled his cheeks saying, "You're so cute Malhotra."

His brows cringed and he quickly got out of her hold, rubbed his cheeks by his palm. She laughed more at that.

"You're such a tease.", he cutely complained.

"Awwwwww", she stretched it more, just to annoy him.

He stomped his feet and started leaving. She almost ran to reach him as fast as she could in those heels and long gown.

He willingly slowed down his pace, not willing to make her fall, as he heard the clicking sound of her heals.

She held him by his arm for support once reaching him. "You're such a lambu", she said catching her breathe.

He chuckled at that as they stepped out of the hall. Entering into the beautifully decorated lawn, hey saw countdown has started, all were ready to welcome the new year with full enthusiasm.

All shouted together, "7.. 6.. 5.. 4.."

Nandini too started counting with others, "3.. 2.. 1"

"Happy New Year!!!", she held his arm more tightly as the huge confetti canons popped.

His eyes immediately lead to her, she was smiling brightly, eyes glistening and other hand extended to catch the sprinklers falling from the poppers. She looked so beautiful,so happy. Her face seemed more attracting to him than the surroundings. Unknowingly, he mentally took a pledge to protect that smile forever.

She again shouted looking at him, "Happy new year Manik!!", again diverting her gaze to the laser light show which was now going on.

He too whispered, "Happy new year."

The light and sound show was still going on, as she felt her best friend's arms wrapped around her and wished her, "Happy new year Nandu."

Nandini too wished her back. And introduced her to Manik. Navya almost dragged her to her friends as they were looking for her. Nandini held Manik's hand to introduce him to her friends, but he pulled his hand back. She looked back at him and he just nodded his head in a no and gestured her to go ahead.

1 a.m., the party was still on and the music kept getting louder. Most of the elders left and the youngsters took over the dance floor with their gang.

Manik was waiting for Cabir, as Cabir ordered him not to leave without meeting him, while they were getting back into the hall after light and sound show. He had ringed on Cabir's number, but maybe he couldn't hear for the loud music.

Nandini was dancing crazily with her friends, getting tired, she and Navya reached the counter to get themselves a drink.

They were making their way back, when Nandini accidentally bumped into a girl and the drink in her hand spilled on her.

The girl immediately said in an apologetic tone, "Sorry sorry. I didn't mean to do that. So sorry." And passed some tissues to her.

"It's ok. Even I was careless and didn't see you coming.", said Nandini with a smile.

"Very sorry once again..", said the girl and left.

"Only tissues won't help Nandu. You need to wash it, or else it'll leave a stain.", Navya said being conscious and both went to the ladies washroom.

Navya started to rub the stained part with water, which actually did not help much but that definitely resulted negatively.

She was drenched in water. She glared at Navya and she gave a sheepish smile.

And in no way she was going to stay back at the party in that state. She informed Navya that she was leaving and asked her to inform Cabir. And asked her to tell him not to worry and enjoy the party.

On the other hand, Manik spotted Cabir standing beside the drinks counter and informed him that he was leaving.

Stepping out of the hall, he was about to make his way back to his wardroom when he saw Nandini and called out for her.

He reached her and said, "Going home already? I thought you'd be here till the end."

"Yaa I would've been, but I'm drenched..", she said pointing at her wet dress.

"Ohh. Did you tease anyone and he/she did this getting annoyed??", he joked.

She glared at him and rolled her eyes.

Then after sometime, he added, "Come I'll drop you back."

"No no Manik. It's not needed."

Without any reply, he started walking in the direction of her house. Even she didn't say anything after that and walked by his side.

Seeing her rubbing her arms with her palm, he took out his jacket and held it to her.

She looked at him amused, and said, "I'm ok, I do-"

"I insist.", he said in a husky baritone. Nandini shivered at that. She didn't know if it was the cold wind of December or him..

~•~
A/N: A message for all the readers, if you guys have any queries regarding the terms I use of Navy, feel free to ask me anytime.❤️