Chap 31

Eleven days passed by since Manik came back to the harbor and was staying at home since he wasn't allowed to return back to the duty until he's perfectly fit and fine.

It had been her routine to be with Manik from the time she wakes up, till 1 in the morning... talking about anything and everything, stealing pecks, and cuddling. But that was until some five or six days only. Cause she had the responsibility of her Cafe too and she couldn't just pressurize Jeff with her part of the work.

She wasn't at all ready to leave him alone and go back to work, but he assured that he'd be okay and need not to worry so much. Cause according to him, it's 'just' a fracture, and Nandini remembered rolling her eyes at that.

So basically, they got lesser time to be with each other. And most of it was either spent in dinner with the family or being in the phones or binge watching. They were together, but not the way they used to be.

We're they even realizing it? God better knows.

_________

Nandini woke up, still tired. And looked at the watch to find it ticking at almost 10:30. Her eyes snapped open, "Ughh how did I sleep for so long? Do hell with this alarm."

Quickly stepping out of the bed, she freshened up and barged into Manik's room. Knocking at the door? Well, she was Nandini Murthy after all.

Her eyes roamed around the room just to get astonished by his absence. She ran downstairs and found Tara in the living room talking to someone over the telephone. Finding Nandini looking at her with knitted brows, she raised her brows asking if she needed something. Nandini mouthed an 'I need to talk to you' and Tara excused herself, kept the handset back, and turned to her. "Where's Manik?", the first question Nandini asked not sparing a moment for Tara to speak something.

"He and Cabir went to the hospital and-"

"Hospital? Why?? What happened? Is he okay?!!" Nandini bombarded a series of questions, Tara chuckled.

"Yaa yaa. They went for a checkup, that's what Cabir informed me. When I woke up, none were in their rooms and after calling him, he said Manik's okay and he took him for a regular checkup, nothing else.", Tara shrugged.

"They are in CMH right?" Tara nodded. "I'm going to the hospital.", she informed. Not waiting for her response, she ran back to her room threw on a baby blue loose summer dress, grabbed her phone, and started off to her destination.

Manik himself had informed her that he was gonna go for a checkup every 7th day, to which 3 days were still left. Why did they have to go today? Something was surely not okay.

Parking the car at the Hospital Parking lot, she quickly ran to the 'Emergency cases' section, asked the officer at the reception about Lieutenant Manik Malhotra and walked to Room no.-203 as informed. The door was slightly open, and she was about to enter. But what she saw and heard next, made her halt in her steps. His back was facing the door as he sat on an inclined patient's chair used for check up. And the girl who was supposedly his doctor was leaning close to his face. "-riously, I don't wanna keep it a secret anymore. I've known you since kindergarten. And I fell for you when we were at std-V. I still like you a lot. In fact-" that's all she could hear.

A lone tear rolled down her already red cheeks. "He didn't say anything. He didn't push her away.", she whispered to herself as another drop rolled down the track of the previous one. Not wanting to hear anything more to break her heart further, she ran out of the place harshly wiping her tears with the back of her hand. On the way, she bumped into someone but didn't care to look up or apologize.

__________

After collecting Manik's medicines, Cabir was walking back to Manik's room when a girl bumped into him. But before he could say anything, she ran out. "Nandini?! What was she doing here? And why the heck was she even crying?" He followed her out, but she had already left with the car, Cabir sighed.