Chap 38

"Nandiniii", calls Manik aloud from their bedroom. It's been almost 35 minutes that they returned home, but she not for once did come to him since she'd made him rest on the bed with the help of a headboard and two pillows, that's a first. Cause she's always the one to slump on the bed and left Manik to do the cooking and cleaning and other household chores. And today she seemed way too busy in the kitchen to even come up to him when he's calling her since then.

And also surprisingly, she let him use his pillow alone! Whereas, she'd always been the one not to let him use his pillow unless and until she'd been lying on the same. So the calculation was, she can use his pillow, but he can't use his own until she's there with him on it. Did she not have a pillow of her own? Well, surely she did. But who'd care using her own when she'd got free access to her boyfriend's/fiance's/soon-to-be hubby's pillow? Too childish, but he loved her throwing such weird tantrums at him. So yaa, that was another first which he didn't like.

"Nandini!!", Manik called again. No matter how he wanted to get his ass up from the bed and find her out and bring her back and bind her with him, if that's gonna make her stay back with him, he won't mind doing that anyway. But his ass of a leg was shot and he couldn't just move it around freely.

His phone rang showing the caller to be his CO. He straightened himself picking up the call. Whatever was said from the other end, it made him smile brightly and his eyes sparkled. Nandini who'd entered the room just before he picked up the call, clearly understood what might have been said on the other side and she was happy for him, but somehow today that smile couldn't make its way to her face.

After all, he was the hero of the mission. He'll surely be given a new badge for his bravery, she knew by his expression. He'd made his unit take a safer place at the time of the attack which resulted in the safety of the maximum of the Officers, even if it was a matter of him taking a bullet in his right leg. Everyone was very very proud of him.

And despite, she felt so much pride, she was guilty and sad too. Guilty to act as such during his departure, and sad cause of his injury.

"Nanduuu" Manik sang. He opened his mouth to sing a different tone out of her name again, but her eyes fell on the door. She stood there without a word, head hung low, fingers fidgeting with each other, and lips seemed pouted from the angle he watched her.

He was reminded of some old incidences staring at her. He smiled remembering that day,

Nandini was called to the principal's cabin for ditching the display practice for the Annual Day and was enjoying icecreams with her BFF Navya at the back of the Canteen. And Manik being the volunteer of the Annual Day was called by the principal for failing to do his duty of managing the students.

Involuntarily his eyes went on Nandini who'd been standing by the wall at the other end, head hung low, fingers fidgeting with one another and lips pouted.

Who'd even say looking at this little cuteness that she'd actually bunked her tasks and had been chilling with friends?, Manik thought.

"I'm sorry, Sir. But Nandini Murthy isn't at fault. She had informed me before going to the Canteen. She'd been practicing under the sun since morning and might've gotten tired... that's why I let her.", Manik lied. He could see her lips breaking into a smile from the corner of his eyes, and that made him happy too.

"You shouldn't let students roam around without the teacher's permission, Manik.", said the principal.

"Yes, Sir. It won't happen again. Sorry."

"And you, Navya. You're supposed to inform teachers or any of the volunteers before you move out. Got it?"

"Yes, Sir.", said Navya.