Chap 21

Everyone went back to their normal routines.. busy in their lives. But then there was our couple who'd get at least an hour for the other from the hectic schedule of life.

Be it meeting at her cafe during lunch break whenever he had night duty or going out and jog together.

Anyways, like every day, they had been jogging for about 30 minutes now and Nandini seemed quite tired now. Seeing her lagging behind and failing in catching up to his pace, Manik teased aloud, "Already giving up, Miss Fake Girlfriend?"

Looking up, Nandini said with a challenging expression, "Never will you see that in this life at least, Mister Fake Boyfriend!" Saying that she elbowed in his stomach and ran ahead, Manik was too flabbergasted to react.

She looked back at him reaching a distance when he shouted, "Nandini, watch out!!"

But too late she collided with someone and closed her eyes in reflex mentally preparing herself for falling straight on the ground with a loud thud sound.

But instead of the rocky road, she felt a strong pair of arms around her. She slightly smiled opening her eyes, and the smile vanished. That wasn't the person she expected.

Reaching her, Manik said with concern dripping down his voice, "Are you okay? Kahi lagi toh nhi?", he said while checking her arms.

But before she could answer, he roared looking at the person in front, "What the heck were you staring that you failed to see a living human figure reaching you?"

Aryaman was gonna revert but Nandini interrupted, "It's okay, Manik." while rubbing his arm softly, making him close his eyes to calm himself down or precisely, in contentment.

"Good night, Aryaman.", she said looking at him and dragged Manik who was still busy glaring at Aryaman.

"What was that, Manik?"

"What? Now don't tell me that jerk's action was justified, cause it literally wasn't!"

"I don't know about him, but I should've been more careful.. I'm at fault."

"You were looking back so obviously you won't see him. But he? He has eyes in the front right? Or maybe he's blind? Yaa now that justifies his action.", he said with sarcasm overpowering.

"Are you even hearing yourself? You act just like a kid sometimes, Malhotra.", She said giggling. Manik jerked her hands away as she pinched his cheek. "Ohho come on yaar. How long will I have to bear this Grumpy Malhotra? Send my old friend back now.", She whined, which transformed into a scream and then laughter when Manik started tickling her non-stop, "Manikkk.. Manik lea- leave meee!!"

Feeling her breathless, he left her not before making her accept to his condition of not calling him 'Grumpy Malhotra' ever again, only if he knew what actually was cooking in her head as she started to hit him as hard as her strength supported, which followed by another round of the whole quarter with him running to save his life and her fuming like a wildfire all ready to burn him down.

That's how they were. They would care for one another, tease each other, laugh together, share sorrows or worries which would be troubling them.. that included only her speaking out everything, whereas he would simply give her the needed motivation, strength, and support, he wouldn't actually share his worries, not that he was uncomfortable, but he didn't want to make her even more tensed and worried.

In easy words, they were growing closer, their friendship was nurturing into a stronger bond. With one another, they were content. They were at peace. They were happy. But people say right, "Kabhi kabhi khud ki hi nazar lag jaati hai apni khushiyon pe"? So... only destiny knew what it held in store for them in the near future. For now, they were happy, and that's what mattered the most.