𝟬𝟰. 𝗅𝗂𝖺 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗃𝗃 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝗈𝗈𝗌𝗍𝖾𝗋

( chapter four )

( chapter four )

━━━ ☼ ━━━

( TW: slight violence )

Ms. Lana opened her door with a smile, "hey, doll face."

After hearing her Uncle tell her Ms. Lana came by asking for help, Ophelia Bennett didn't hesitate to change into the proper clothing for the outdoors and head over to the woman's house in the Cut. The task was simple—pull weeds and water the garden Ms. Lana had started to grow in the backyard. It was the easier option to grow her own produce than buy it from the stores when money was always tight.

"Hi, Ms. Lana," the Bennett brought the woman into a hug. The girl had known the woman for a while so she was comfortable around her enough to hug her, "how are you?"

"Oh, I'm fine, doll. Just need some help with some pesky weeds in the front yard."

"Okay," the girl nodded, "I'm gonna go wash up first."

"Take your time, Lia. Thanks for the help."

"No problem," Lia traveled to the small bathroom and started to wash her hands. Only a few moments later, she suddenly heard shouting and banging coming from the living room. After drying her hands, she cautiously opened the door and found two men hovering over Ms. Lana and shouting at her.

Outside the house, JJ and John B were against the structure of the home, listening. The boys were on a mission to see why the compass was on Scooter's boat in the first place. They heard the shouting and breaking of objects from outside the house and immediately hid against the house under one of the open windows.

"Shut up and sit down! Don't move!"

"Okay! Okay!"

They felt their hearts stop when they heard a familiar voice. Ophelia. They knew she worked for the Grubbs sometimes, but they didn't expect her to get caught up and in danger. Lia was in danger.

The Bennett sat on the couch with tears streaming down her face as she tried to block out the yells and the hits she heard. Finally having enough, she voiced, "please—just leave her alone."

"Shut up!"

Lia grunted as the force of the hit to her face knocked her on her side—hitting the couch. Her cheek stung and her vision blurred as the man walked away and continued his search.

From outside, the boys could hear the slap clear as day.

JJ clenched his jaw, swallowing his fear, "that's it. I'm going in there."