Part 14

Pain.

Physical pain.

That's what Arnav was feeling as he watched Khushi break down in his arms. His heart felt like it was being pulled from everywhere into shreds. He now understood what Anjali cried about in those stupid movies she watched. Every tear from Khushi's eye broke his heart a little bit more. 

He wished he could do something about it. But he knew that pain must be felt to one to be free from it. He could distract Khushi now but it would only make it worse when it finally sank in. Pain was like a band aid – pulling it little by little would only increase the pain. Best to pull it once and for all!

The sound of her snoring broke his reverie. His phone flashed at the same time signalling a call from Aman. Thank God he had put it on silent earlier!

Slowly disentangling her from himself – which he did very unwillingly – he took one look at her face. Her eyes were swollen and her face had marks of dried tears. That swine would pay for this, Arnav swore!

He carefully removed his coat that she was wearing and pulled her sleeves into place. In one swift move, he lifted her in his arms and took her to her room. Laying her on the bed, he removed her sandals, covered her with a blanket and brought the first aid box to tend to her wound. Even though he gently touched the cotton soaked in medicine on the bite at her shoulder, she flinched in her sleep. Sushing her, he finished up and walked out switching off the light quietly.

Of the many scenarios he had imagined Khushi in his arms, this one was definitely out of syllabus, he sighed loudly. Knowing sleep would be a luxury that would elude his today, he dialed Aman.

"Yes, Aman what's the update?"

**********

A shadow was chasing her.

A shadow closely resembling a man.

She was running wildly on a deserted road. She screamed for help but no one was around to hear her. With her heart beats echoing wildly in her ears, Khushi ran. Khushi ran as if her life depended on it – because it actually did.

Seeing an alley, she sought cover. But the shadow seemed to be clinging onto her soul, for it sneaked up behind her slyly. She was cornered against a wall now. Her strength gave in. As she closed her eyes in fear, her tears started flowing. The shadow made no move and then it happened.