Ember Kate

It was hard to recall a definite moment when I knew that I had to do what I was standing here to do. I was on top of a tall cliff they called the Bend, it had so many sharp corners that I was surprised I didn't accidently kill myself on my way to kill myself.

If I wasn't so focused on the water crashing against the rock, greeting it like an old friend, I probably would have laughed at the small joke. I sigh, wondering if it'll take a while for me to die or if it will be immediate. I scoot closer to the edge, and don't flinch when a rock fall down. I can barely hear it hit the hopefully warm water over the storm going on. Will I regret it half way down? Who will find my body? These questions, as weird as the second one seemed, were the only things keeping me grounded. I told my parents I would be at the movies, so I had about an hour to make up my mind or go home; ashamed of myself.

"Ember, step back. Don't jump." I hear a voice shout into the wind, I flinch. Nobody was supposed to be out here this late. I look over my shoulder to see Locklan Hensen. I tried to act like I wasn't surprised, like guys they never talk to in their classes always show up when you're about to commit suicide.

"Go away, everything is shit." I can't help it, I start crying. I don't know if he notices because of the rain and wind, and I hope not. I'm thinking of the first time I saw him at freshman orientation; he had brown hair that was short enough to stand up on its own. His green eyes were framed with thick glasses, and he had clothes that looked like they were from the 70s.

"I don't think you realize how much you're wasting," he stops, and I look behind me to see him licking his lips. "People fight for this thing you're just willing to throw away. Plus, what are your parents going to say?"

I want to laugh, my parents? My mom was addicted to online shopping and going to meetings she didn't belong to, this included AA and drug addiction groups. My father worked all the time to make up for her shopping, and to avoid her addiction to meetings where she didn't belong. I step closer, knowing it's not a valid argument. My mother will have an extra room to put her purchases and my father will work even harder.

"Just come back with me, I won't tell anybody. But you have to give me some of your time to show you that your life is worth living. Please?" he sounded desperate and closer as the temperature dropped and I got more impatient. It sounded like he was talking about a road trip, which could be interesting. Not knowing why I stepped off that cliff and climbed down with Locklan, I tell myself that if it isn't worth it; the cliff will still be here.