Chapter 14 - Date Mission

"Karma?" Nagisa had asked out of curiosity. And indeed, Karma was standing right outside of the restaurant with a heavy blush coating his cheeks. "Oh hey there, Nagisa! I didn't know you liked this restaurant!" Karma hurriedly pointed towards to the shop Nagisa had just emerged from.

"Oh, I don't like it. One of my students just recommended it to me, so I thought I might as well try it out." Nagisa declined. "Oh." Karma's mouth formed an 'o' shape.

"Say, Nagisa? Want to hang out together?" Karma asked. Nagisa shook his head to Karma's dismay. "But why?" Karma whined childishly. Nagisa had sighed. "It's because. The midterms are coming up, and I'm planning to make my students work extra hard this year."

     "At this point, you're not making only your students work hard..." Karma groaned, but to his preference, Nagisa didn't hear a single thing and just walked past him.

     "How about I treat you to some more spaghetti?" Karma asked, keeping close to Nagisa, always staying behind his heels. Nagisa sighed. "I'm fine, Karma-kun."

"Woah, what's with the honourifics?"

     "It's nothing." Nagisa laughed it off, earning a small tings of blush scraping by Karma's cheeks.

"But I'll tell you something, Karma." Nagisa had a grin plastered over his face, widening with every remaining second. "There's no way my students will lose against yours!"

"Oya oya?" Karma arched an eyebrow. "Are you picking a fight with me?"

Nagisa sighed. "It's not a fight. It's a competition."

*****

     "Shiota-Sensei?" Haruhi had mischievous emerald green forest eyes with her jade green hair tied high up in a ponytail. She had collapsed onto the surface of her desk, with her chest smothered over the oak wood. She didn't bother looking back up from the desk after one last longing glance at Nagisa, drowning herself into an endless black ravine. Nagisa had eventually wondered if she was suffocating, but her continuous shots of questions at him had only convinced him of the latter.

     It was break time, and certainly, his students never seemed to want to give him a break.

     "I heard that you went to critique the Higuchi twins' restaurant. Was it fine? I heard that the place is crowded with cockroaches, and every corner is full of leaked water pipes that disturbs every customer."

     "That isn't true." Nagisa corrected. He eyed his ninth student on the attendance list, Haruhi Ito. She had demonstrated strong communication skills and a lack of focus on homework. He knew that if she managed to focus on her work, she'll have great marks. "Well then? What's in there then?" Haruhi asked.

     Nagisa bit back his temptation of rolling his eyes. Haruhi certainly was a curious fellow teenager.

     "It's certainly very clean. There are no leaked pipes, with no puddles of water in the corners. And there definitely are no cockroaches. But there are no customers, with only one food on the menu. And it's corn soup, with no valuable meaning. In fact, it's very bitter and has no taste to it." Nagisa corrected.

     "I would sometimes visit the restaurant." Haruhi pointed out.

     Then why did you ask me those questions? Nagisa thought.