O4 | fireworks and neonlights

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "He has no fucking clue, does he?"

    Samira, Nora and Ian watched Cedric enter the Great Hall, surrounded by his dimwit grinning friends, heading straight at the Goblet of Fire. None of the other Hufflepuff sixth years besides Cedric and Samira had turned off age yet, and so the full weight of badger pride lay on Cedric's shoulders. There were one or two seventh years of their house having gotten their name in, but the main mass of attendants came from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

     "Of course not, if I had told him, he'd spent the last eight weeks with talking the idea out of me", Samira answered Ian's question, while Cedric threw his name into the goblet under the thunderous cheering of the black and yellow uniformed students in the entrance hall.

     "When will you do it?", Nora asked, her lips pursed, as another Gryffindor neared the Goblet of Fire with the awaited victory already written all over his face.

     "Oh, I chose to make it quite an entrance, you know? Red carpet, fireworks, neon lights", Samira sarcastically replied. "I don't know, Nora, but not as long as Cedric's around. He'd throw me off my feet to stop me and I —"

     Another thunderous applause exploded in the hall, as Fred and George Weasley came running down the marble stairs.

     "Are they even seventeen?", Ian muttered, while the twins obviously needn't a firework to perform a good show. Two vials held up in the air in front of them, they make their round alongside the circle of students that had built a ring around the goblet, clapping several hands as they passed by.

     "I don't think so", Samira chuckled. "Looks like aging potion. Oh, that'll be funny, I assume the haven't heard about what happened to Fawcett yet."

     Younger Hufflepuffs showed way more effort to enter the tournament, as those did, who were actually allowed to. Stephanie Fawcett, not even half an hour ago, had tried to get her name in, and the result was just hilarious.

     Same fate was awaiting the Weasley twins, who proudly swallowed their aging potion and jumped over the blue glowing line Dumbledore had conjured to keep younger students away from the goblet. A triumphant yell echoed through the hall, followed by applause. Samira leaned forward, her hands folded in anticipation of what was coming for them, as they threw their names into the blue fire.

     At first nothing happened, and the the Weasley twins hands clapped together to an high five, as the show began. A sting flame shot out if the goblet, hitting Fred and George straight in the chest; they got swept off their feet and were thrown out of the circle in a high bow, landing on the hard ground with a thud and groans. Samira was already laughing along with Nora and Ian, before the real funny part even happened. White beards started to grow on the twins faces, as they sat up with aching butts, looking at each other with widened eyes, their hand flinching up to their chin, examining their new style.

     The whole crowd started to howl with laughter, and Samira was close to tears, as she caught George's eyes, and he joined the laughter with his brother, while their beards were growing longer and longer.

     "Gits", Nora snorted, then her eyes flickering towards Samira, who had gotten to her feet. "Hey, watcha doing?"

     "That's the entrance I've been waiting for", Samira said, the small piece of parchment with her name written on it clenched in her fist.

     As she headed for the Goblet of Fire, the crowd around her suddenly directed their attention from the Weasley twins to Samira, and they parted to make a gap for her. The laughter slowly died, and she could feel all eyes on her. Not that she minded, but knowing that also George's eyes were on her, made her feel very self-conscious. Don't trip, don't trip, don't trip. The words repeated in her head like an incantation, as her heels clicked on the ground with every step she took.

     She would have expected the fire in the wooden goblet to be burning hot, but she did feel no heat, as she crossed the line and stood right in front of the blue flames.

     "What the hell do you think you're doing?", a voice emerged out of the crowd, and for a second Samira thought it was Cedric, that he hadn't left and was about to make a scene. But the protagonist of this upcoming drama was Roger, who pushed himself through a bunch of students, his face retorted. "You won't put your name in there! It's too dangerous!"

     "Oh, say what?", Samira snarled at him, turning around to her boyfriend, with the parchment still in her hand. "Didn't you get your name in as well?"

     Roger's eyebrows knitted. "That's a whole different story, Sam, and you know it!"

     "Do I? Why would it be?"

     He crossed his arms in front of his chest, while the crowds multiple heads watched the couple like a tennis match, heads turning from right to left, now kept hanging in Roger.

     "Because you're a girl, you aren't supposed to—"

     "Boo! Foul!", Samira heard Ian and Nora yell from their spot on the stone bench near the wall.

     "You think I'm incapable to get chosen, because I am a girl, Roger?" Now Samira's arms crossed as well. "That's a poor argumentation, my dear. We both know, that I'm able to beat you in every class we have together, I am as qualified for this tournament as you are."

     The boys around had held their breaths, while the girls grinned from ear to ear.

     "You tell him, sis!", Nora yelled, and the female part of the crowd laughed in agreement.

     "Cedric won't like this either", Roger gave it another try, "and your father! Think about your father, he wouldn't want you to embarrass yourself!"

     "So that's what you think, yeah? I'm going to embarrass myself?", Samira snorted. "I hope I'll get chosen, or if it isn't me, then any other girl, and I hope one of us girls will win this shit and show you what we're made of!"

     She turned around, facing the blue flames, her hand raising, and all she had to do now, was throw her name in.

     "If you'll do this, Sam, it's over!"

     "Well, about that ...", Samira sighed, opening her hand, and a blue sting flame enlightened her triumphant face, as the Goblet of Fire swallowed her name.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3