17 | no change of heart

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "Cheer up, you're first place together with Harry, it's like you've already won this", Cedric scolded his sister, who wore the very same frown on her face for days now.

     "Yeah, fine", Samira replied. "Have you heard anything from Dad?"

     Cedric shrugged, but the blush on his cheeks uncovered the truth. "Well ... yes", he finally admitted. "But you shouldn't worry about him. He is proud of you, Sam. And he will show up for the third task, he told me. He's just ... He's not amused about what Skeeter wrote. But it has nothing to do with you!", he quickly added. "He knows Skeeter. That woman is awful."

     "He doesn't need to show up, I don't need his support", Samira muttered. "If he's not even able to write me a letter, I don't need him in the stands to cheer for me."

     The weeks passed by in a rush, though the days felt painfully long and the nights way too short. Sleep didn't come easy for Samira lately, and at some point she started doubting if entering this tournament had been her best idea. Before, her life was running perfect, but ever since the Goblet of Fire had spat out her name, she found herself on a downward spiral.

     Sitting in the courtyard all on her own on the first sunny day by the end of March, she had every will to give up. But how do you get out of a binding magical contract.

     "Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion."

     Dumbledore's words still echoing through her ears, she flinched as a raspy voice dragged her out of her mind.

     "Miss Diggory", Moody said, coming to a halt in front of Samira. "I had no chance to congratulate you for your astonishing performance in the Black Lake."

     "Thank you, sir", she replied, forcing herself to smile. "Wouldn't have gotten that far without your help, though."

     Moody smiled this creepy smile of his, were the scars on his face looked even deeper. "I didn't do anything but give you a push into the right direction. The success, though, is still yours. You chose an interesting spell, that did not only surprise me, but the judges as well. That was a big piece of magic you used that day."

     "I wanted to make sure that no one else will have the same idea. Bubble head charm, gillyweed ... That was kinda blatant. I knew that at least one of the other champions would use it."

     "That's why you used transfiguration in the first task, I assume?" He leaned heavier onto his cane. "Outstanding, I have to admit. I wouldn't wonder if you win this tournament."

     "I will try my best", she said, cracking another smile. "I hope the third task won't get worse. But at least there's no riddle to be solved for this one. My hopes are up." She lightly chuckled, as the clock tower chimed twelve. "Ah, I think I should go to the Great Hall for lunch now, my friends are certainly already looking for me."

     A shiver ran down Samira's spine, as she walked back into the castle, feeling both of Moody's eyes following her. She fastened her steps, and before she entered the castle, she could no longer suppress the urge to throw a glance over her shoulder to check if Moody was still watching her.  The second her eyes found him, she bumped against something, stumbling back, and if it weren't for two strong arms catching her, she would have hit the ground.

     "Sorry, I — oh, it's you." Her apology turned into an icy statement, as her eyes met George's. "In this case I'm not sorry."

     "Is there someone after you?", George asked, ignoring her comment.

     "Why would you think so?"

     "You're a bit pale around your nose, and I could have sworn you ran for your life." George shrugged, and as Samira turned around once more, Moody was gone.

      "Had a talk with Moody, I think he's a bit creepy and — Why am I even telling you this? Need another story for Skeeter?"

      "I didn't tell her anything about you, Sam", George replied in a for him unusual stern voice. "Do you think I would interfere with a person like her after all she has done to Harry? The only thing Skeeter would get from me is a extra portion of nosebleed nougat mixed with one or two puking pastilles."

     I'd dearly believe you, but you were the only one I ever opened fully up about this", Samira hissed. "Fine, Ian and Nora had their guesses, because to them and Ced it's quite obvious that I want to proof my father wrong, but they would never tell anyone." She bit her lip, hesitating, but then spilling the tea. "And they aren't desperately looking for money."

     Now George furrowed his flaming red eyebrows, as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Okay, listen up, because I will only say it one more time: I haven't sold you to Skeeter! Yes, Fred and I need money to open the joke shop, but we've still a full year at Hogwarts in front of us and there are far more possibilities to get money than tell Skeeter about your daddy issues. I wouldn't do this to you!"

     "Why? You barely know me, you even acted as if I didn't even exist before this bloody tournament happened, and suddenly you're interested in me? See, it is as it is. So why should I believe you? Why on earth wouldn't you do this to me?"

     "I have my reasons", George uttered, his ears growing a deep shade of red.

     "Then tell me!" Samira was yelling now, letting all her frustration run free. "Tell me your blithering reasons, George, c'mon!"

     There was an explosion, and it took Samira a second or two to notice it was all inside her head. With a groan and a roll of his eyes, he crushed his lips onto hers, and for the second time Samira was almost blown off her feet, as a comfortable dizziness overwhelmed her. George's arms, though, caught her again, wrapping around her, and she placed her hands on his toned chest, as if his hold wasn't enough to keep her knees from buckling.

     As they parted, Samira found herself sheer out of breath, like she had not even been after stealing an egg out of the fangs of a hatching dragon.

     "That's a good reason, I guess", she told him breathlessly, her cheeks burning, and he laughed with his arms still around her. "You're allowed to explain now."

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3