20 | the warning

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "A maze?"

     Samira stared at the not yet full grown hedges that spread out across the Quidditch pitch.

     "Yes, a maze, Miss Diggory", Ludo Bagman explained. "The four of you will start in the range you now have. First Harry and Miss Diggory, then Mr. Krum and at last Miss Delacour. Inside the maze you will have to face some little difficulties." He winked at the four champions. "The one of you who will first reach the cup placed in the middle of the maze, will win a hundred points and be the winner of the tournament."

     "So why did we have to fight a bloody dragon and drown ourselves in icy water during the first and second task, when the points we earned there were ... well, pointless?", Samira muttered at Harry, after Bagman had fully explained the third task, and watched the corners of his mouth twitch.

     "I don't know, but this maze is great", Harry whispered back at her.

     "Yeah, compared to the former tasks it sounds like a walk in the park", Samira snorted.

     After Bagman did finally release them to return to the castle, Samira decided to stay at the Quidditch pitch for another while, after everyone had left. With a quiet laughter she tried to imagine Cedric's face if he found out what they had done to his favourite place on the grounds. He would probably train a fire spitting dragon to burn this whole shit down.

     The sun was about to set behind the mountains surrounding the grounds of Hogwarts and with a last glance at the hedges — which she swore had grown higher as she had watched — Samira left the stadium and was about to make her way back up to the castle to tell her friends and George what was the final enemy she would have to defeat on her way to a historical victory. She could already see herself holding up the cup with outstretched arms, while the crowd around her was booming with cheers and applause, but a much more real noise suddenly caught all her attention and ended her daydream abruptly.

     Steps. She could hear steps, but as she stopped, there was nothing breaking the silence around her but a couple of birds chirping from nearby trees. Refusing to act paranoid, Samira didn't turn around but started walking again further up the hill, when she heard it again. Steps. Then the crack of a breaking twig.

     She whirled around.

     Whoever this was, she had never seen him somewhere at Hogwarts before. His hair was dirty straw blonde, his eyes a bright blue, his face pale with a bunch of freckles staining his cheeks. He looked young, though awfully sick, and Samira could have sworn she had seen this face before.

     "Can I — can I help you?", she asked, while under her robe her hand grabbed her wand tightly. "Are you looking for someone? Professor Dumbledore?" Maybe, she thought, he was applying for next year's position as DADA teacher, as Moody had announced to the beginning of the year, he wouldn't stay longer than one year.

     The man, though, remained quiet and kept standing ten feet away from Samira, simply watching her.

     Was he lost? Maybe a wanderer who got lost in the mountains. But he couldn't be a muggle, it was impossible for a muggle to enter the grounds of Hogwarts. Also, he didn't look like a muggle. He was wearing a robe. And he didn't look lost. Indeed, he seemed like he had just found what he was looking for, and goosebumps prickled up her skin,had the tiny hair on her neck raising, as she realised, that it could be her, he had been looking for.

     "Sir, I will return to the castle now and find someone to come for you", Samira said, not daring to get her eyes off of this strange man, but craving all her bravery to turn around and climb the hill.

     "Wait."

     His voice didn't fit his appearance, it was firm and powerful and she immediately obeyed, turning to face him once more, and a tiny shriek escaped her lips, when she found him real close to her. Too close for her liking. Not more that two feet lay between them, and before she could do anything, his slender fingers wrapped around her wrist surprisingly strong.

     "You need to listen to me now, Samira", he spoke in a raspy voice, and her eyes widened in fear, as he knew her name. "You must not win this tournament. You must not reach the cup first, and don't you under any circumstances touch it."

     Trying to free herself from his grip with no success, she raised her wand. "Sir, I must insist you let me go. I — I will get you help. I will go and get Professor Dumbledore. You — you're talking ... What you're talking about —"

     "Sounds weird?", he ended what she just didn't dare to tell him. "Samira, I know you will win this tournament, but you must not! Don't touch the cup. I can't allow this."

     Though she could have hexed him, Samira didn't do anything to stop the man, as he lifted his hands to stroke a strain of her long blonde hair out of her face and tuck it behind her ear. His hand remained on her cheek, and this whole situation seemed like the most awkward dream Samira ever had, but her hammering heart told her it was real. A stranger was stroking her cheek with his tumb, and her stomach lurched, as a wave of panic hit her. Forgotten was her wand, she just flinched back, but the grip around her wrist didn't loosen, though his hand removed from the delicate skin of her face.

     "Let me go, please let me go, I will —"

     There was a yell echoing over the grounds, coming from the Forbidden Forest, and the man's head snapped around as if he could see its source.

     "Don't touch the cup, Samira. Don't win this tournament. I swear I will explain all of this to you when we meet again."

     "But I —"

     His face grew darker and a creepy shadow lay over his eyes, as he pointed his wand into her face. "Promise me to not win this tournament!", he snapped at her and Samira felt close to fainting. "Say it!"

     "I — I promise it", she pressed out, her bottom lip quivering.

     "Don't disappoint me, you will regret it", the strange man said, before he let go of her, and Samira didn't wait for what was happening next, but turned on heels and spurted up the hill faster than she had ever ran, not stopping before the oak portal closed behind her and she sunk her back against it, panting, before the tears overwhelmed her and she sunk down to the floor, covering her face with her hands, shivering and helpless.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3