Chapter 1.

ROSE P.O.V.

At last! I'm in New York- my dream city. Not knowing what is in store, I hear voices beckoning me. I can feel it! I was never one to do anything without a purpose, so my plan was to get a degree to make my family back home proud.

Staring outside the plane window, it takes me back. When I was ten years old, my mom passed away. Her and granny were all I had.

My mom died of stage three cancer. She was a woman with breathtaking beauty and a heart of gold; she didn't deserve to die so soon. On her deathbed, she gave me her pendant. It was a beautiful silver heart-shaped pendant, ornamented with a rose on top. My mom used to tell me that the heart was her and the rose was me. Whenever I touched it I'd get power that helped me to face my difficulties. This breathtaking pendant had an unexplainable feeling. It makes me feel like my mother is always protecting me.

My mom also told me that dad gave her that pendant as a symbol of his love for her. Now hanging on my neck, I always feel as though my parents' spirits are alive in my heart. However, I was left to wonder why she never told me why dad left her so soon? At that time, I was just five years old when he disappeared and didn't return. He never returned even when my mom was no more.

This left my granny, Sahara, to raise me alone. She worked hard to make me who I am today. Granny wasn't like other Indian grandparents who were old-fashioned. She supported me through every hardship.

So now, I am here to achieve my dreams...

Arriving at the airport, I checked out and took a cab to reach New York University. After reaching there, I did the necessary admission requirement and headed to find my dorm room, hoping it's clean. Since I was a child, I was very protective of my clothes and books. I just hope that my roommate is too.

Opening the door, what I see is a small but cute room with pink colored walls. There are two small beds placed in the room and a study table at the side. There are books on the table and I let curiosity get the best of me and I go to check them, to find out my roommate's name is Grace.

Oh, it's a different name I believe and now I have the urge to meet her!

Eventually, the door to the room swings open and there is a girl wearing jeans and a top with her hair tied in braids. Of course she looks beautiful. She greets me with a sweet smile on her face.

"Well, well, well, you are my new roomie," she said and looked my attire up and down. I was wearing Kurti and leggings. I am Indian and we are very possessive about our culture and clothes.

"Hey I am Rose, your new Roomie," I tell her. "Nice to meet you, Grace."

She takes a while and then smiles after acknowledging that I read her name from her book. "Me too."

"Are you Indian?" she asked, pointing her index finger towards me.

"Yes, I am!" I reply with a smile.

"OMG! I'm a big fan of SRK (Shahrukh Khan), have you ever seen him face to face? Does he look the same in real life?" She excitedly threw all her questions onto me.

"Of course! My school was just next to his bungalow, so it was common for me to see him," I informed her. Her eyes grew bigger in response.

"You have seen THE SRK in real life and you feel it's common? I don't believe it!" At this, she made me chuckle. It was very common for me because I've seen him many times. But people who live outside of Mumbai come to his place and wait for almost an entire day just to get a glimpse of him.

We both chat about ourselves for a while and she tells me everything I need to know about NYU.

We had dinner together at a nearby restaurant. Since it is our first day, we celebrate there. It is a small restaurant and affordable too, so I don't mind.

Coming back, we head towards our beds. However, it happens again. That feeling reappears... this time the voice calls me. It didn't call me by my name, it called me,

'Beloved...'