XIV

KIM YUN-SEO'S POV

Walking over to Jimin, I nudged his shoulder and handed him the tteokbokki cup, "Oooh, who was that?" I teased, earning a scoff from him. "A friend." He took the cup and began to eat quietly, while I sat beside him on the bench that overlooked the park's entire landscape.

"Why didn't you invite her?" The park was serene as it was mostly empty too, only filled with some passerbys that could be counted by hand. Jimin ate a piece and muttered, "it's not like you'd want that."

I looked at him, puzzled at his words. "What do you mean?" He glanced at me for a mere second and turned away quickly, replying; "Eat up. You're talking too much." Jimin seemed strangely disturbed by my questions and I'm kinda feeling that he's refusing to answer directly. I'm not sure why, but that triggered me to tease him even more.

"You like her, don't you?" I turned to him, carelessly chewing a piece of rice cake in my mouth. He looked at me intently, and spoke in a cold tone, "she has a boyfriend." That statement made me silent for a while until I found something to say.

"Too bad it isn't you!" I chuckled, slowly amused at how Jimin was showing a good reaction — he looked so affected. He looked at the ground, and then gazed at nowhere in particular, anywhere but my eyes. His reply made me freeze and think that I had crossed the line. "Mhm. Too bad."

I scooted away from him in shame and covered my lips in shock, comprehending what I said might've done to him. Is he that miserable? I didn't know! There was complete silence for a long while, just the sound of nature along with the faint sirens from the streets. It was quiet, but I did not feel at peace at all. Attempting to regain the mood, I stood up and grabbed his hand, pointing at the playground from a short distance. "Look, there's a swing!"

Jimin and I sat on both seats, while I swung and he barely moved on the other hand. I must've really said it so badly. He looked at me, probably noticing how it made me a bit cautious and uncomfortable. His lips curved into a smile that I knew well was forced, "it's fine. Reality often disappoints us."

"You make me feel even more guilty! But hey... she's really pretty and—" I stopped talking when I saw him smile, that annoying smile. "But I'm still prettier." He chuckled at my remark and started to open up. "She happened to pass by there... she's moving to another city soon so she just bid goodbye too."

"Is that so? Hm, what's her name?" I asked out of curiosity, of course. Jimin smiled, but I couldn't tell if he was faking it or not. "Saerin. Her name is Saerin." It seemed that that name seemed so familiar to his lips. Her name was unique, one that was not something you'd hear commonly.

"That's a unique name," I said, also seeing Jimin nod. He sighed, looking up at the sky with sentimental eyes, "I kinda wish it wasn't that peculiar, maybe I wouldn't remember it so well." Isn't he being a little overdramatic now? "Where is she moving anyway?" I asked, getting a quick reply from him, "Daegu."

"Eh? Daegu is only a few kilometers away, it's not like she's going to the other side of the world. You can still visit her...?" Maybe I was being a little insensitive but I was surely spitting facts right now. Or maybe, she meant that much to him. There was silence for a while until I heard Jimin speak after some time that felt like forever. "I don't think I will. Maybe that's the way for things to heal, being away from what caused the pain."