In a Realm of Our Imagination [Microphone x Soap]

Soap and Microphone go on a date.

I wrote this one back in either December 2017 or March 2018, and I'm actually still a little proud of it. It's based on the universe of Our Era - the story soapitysoap1114 and I collaborated on in late 2017 - mid-2018. I think I wrote it to cheer them up? What you need to know about it is that Microphone is a squire working with Taco to overthrow King MePhone, and Soap is a castle servant.

Go check out Our Era! It's on soapitysoap's profile, and it's pretty awesome. ^ ^

⁂⁂⁂

Mic smoothed down the front of her dress, glancing around nervously.

The stone corridor was concealed from view from one side by a wall; the other side was a ledge, dropping precipitously. Looking down was impressive in a way, as the expanses of both Meeple and the rest of the castle made for an impressive view below. Beyond the capital were a forest, and yet beyond that, blurry with distance, were the great gumdrop mountains of afar.

The two turrets the outdoor corridor connected were remote; nobody would be there. The air was brisk, and there was a slight breeze.

The perfect location.

Mic looked at the sky.

'The moon's almost at three-quarters. Soap should be here any minute now.'

'Soap.' Her face flushed all over again. She took a deep breath, then calmed herself with a sigh.

'Relax, Mic. This will go just fine. It's just one date, and if she isn't into it, you can back out anytime. Breathe in, breathe out.'

Before she knew it, there was the sound of a door opening; Mic turned to see Soap rising from a hatch on the stone floor. It would have been effortless, if not for the fact that she nearly got stuck.

"H-hey, Soap. You look nice tonight," Mic said as Soap shut it.

In actuality, Soap was wearing the same elegant servant's dress she always did. Honestly, her dress was nicer than anything Mic had ever owned; Mic's villager clothes weren't very dateworthy, but at least they were soft enough not to scratch Soap when Soap gave her a quick hug seconds later.

"So do you, Mic; rose is totally your color."

Mic laughed nervously. "Thanks. Err... Let's have a seat, shall we?"

They sat on the ledge together; Mic was hyper aware of how close they were, the way the tips of their fingers brushed.

"Wow, this is a neat place. This is so high up!" Soap remarked. "I don't think I've ever been this high before."

"It's cool, isn't it?"

Soap turned her attention from the scenery. "How did you find this place?"

"Oh, um..." Perhaps it was better not to get into that. "It makes me feel above it all, for once. As a squire, a lot of people walk all over you."

"It's so nice. But it's cold up here tonight. I hope you won't mind if I..." Soap suddenly leaned in close.

Mic's eyes shot wide open, heart pounding anew. Her face flushed. "I don't mind, heh. I-if this is really cold for you."

Small talk ensued. Discussion about the weather segued into talking about the cleaning Soap had been doing lately, and that segued into Mic talking about what she'd been up to as a squire lately.

(Obviously, she had to leave out all the sneaking around and scheming. It wouldn't do to be one of those girls who let her feelings for some pretty girl get in the way of doing what had to be done. It did mean talking a lot about the battle she'd won the day at, though, which was a score.)

Soap stared at her with an impressed light in her eyes. "You're so brave to be a squire. What I would give to be brave enough to fight... You were such a hero in that last battle that I just..." Soap hugged her even closer. "You're amazing. I was so worried about you, but I guess that was unnecessary... Haha."

Mic blinked. "You worried about me?"

"More than you could ever know," Soap confessed.

"Aw, Soap..." Mic turned to look at her directly. Soap laughed quietly into the fabric of her dress.

"I've never had a friend like you, Microphone. I miss seeing that cute little princess around, sure, but I can't help wishing that she never comes back."

"W-why's that?" Mic prayed Soap can't hear her heart beating.

A pitiful little chuckle. "You train so hard to be her knight and retainer... You'll be knighted in no time. But at the same time, I wish you were always there to protect me like I was a princess. It's dumb, I know. But I never felt close to anyone before like I do with you."

Mic sat there frozen for a moment that felt like eternity, only the sound of the wind breaking the silence. Then, gingerly, she cupped Soap's face in one hand. They stared at one another for a moment.

Soap had a rare tear in her eye, but it was a half-tear.

It made Mic's heart ache with longing. She took a deep breath.

Before she knew it, their lips met. There wasn't even a split second's hesitation before Soap wrapped her arms around Mic, kissing back. It was like the spark of blade against blade in Mic's mind: yellow, energizing, yet like the kindling of a tender fire in her heart.

Another eternity passed before they parted with a soft pop, but even then, "parted" was not the right word, for they still hung close to one another, eyes meeting. Soap's eyes were wide with amazement.

"You don't get it," Mic said, slightly out of breath. "Don't you see? No matter what, I am your knight, and you are my princess. A-and I guess now's as good a time as any to admit that you're so cute I get distracted in training thinking about you, so maybe being a knight's not that soon."

Soap sniffled once, twice. A watery grin tugged at Mic's heartstrings. "Oh my God, Mic. I wish you told me sooner, y-you doofus!"

She hugged Mic tight, sniffling. "I can't believe you. Holding back all this time. Didn't you know I was into you?"

Mic hugged her back, head reeling from the speed of things. She laughed lightly.

"You know me, I'm a little dense sometimes. I always thought you were too good for me."

"Nonsense! A princess and a knight... we're perfect for each other." A gleeful little laugh bubbled out of Soap. "S-sorry. I feel everything at once right now. Does that ever happen to you?"

"Maybe now I can start. But, don't worry, Soap. If I ever rule the world for real..." The smell of lemons suddenly passed by her nostrils. It had to be her imagination.. Right?

"...You'll be the princess, I swear."