Fleurs et Façades [Apple x Taco]

"Two-faced, deceitful, treacherous," Taco replied, strolling closer, "All the very same things that they call me."

Finally, something that isn't ancient! I wrote this tiny little thing for someone on Tumblr who thinks Taco and Apple are neat and should hold hands. I started it two weeks ago, but finished it, like, two minutes ago. Writing rarepairs is fun, so I hope you find enjoyment in this snapshot!

⁂⁂⁂

Taco wasn't used to other contestants venturing into the forest, so it was child's play to distinguish regular forest sounds from more... interesting ones.

When she first heard the unsubtle stomping, she thought it was a baby bear addled by a bear-trap or something, When she heard someone exclaim "Aagh!", her eyes lit up like a hunter's.

Could it be Test Tube, the single greatest threat to the alliance?

You could imagine her surprise when she saw Apple dusting herself off at the base of a cliff. She had some dirt and a bruise or two on her, but the fistful of roses in her hand were in perfect shape.

Taco snickered despite herself. "I would've thought someone as duplicitous as you wouldn't be tricked by a mere cliff."

Apple whipped around to face Taco with wide eyes. Her expression shifted for a bit, between surprise, fear and confusion, but in the end, she replied, "What's duplicitous mean?"

"Two-faced, deceitful, treacherous," Taco replied, strolling closer, "All the very same things that they call me."

"I'm nothing like you!" Apple declared. "And also- I don't know what that means."

Taco snorted in amusement. "You don't need to pretend with me. I heard all about your little trick with that insufferable Marshmallow. Genius, really! You've truly cemented yourself as the superior rival."

"How'd you know I was here to get flowers for Marshmallow?!"

She narrowed her eyes. "...Pardon?"

"Yeah, her birthday's coming up, and I'm looking for a gift for her."

"...Sending people gifts doesn't work to regain their favor. Trust me, I've tried."

"I thought people liked getting gifts on their birthday."

Taco huffed with amusement. "Fey of you to think that. I've actually been meaning to converse with you for some time."

"OK. But can you say it in small words?"

"We were never on the same team last season," Taco clarified, but rolled her eyes. "Everyone already knows who you really are. Calling you the new Taco is hardly fair, nobody well ever be quite like me, but-"

"What does act mean?"

"Enough with the stupidity! Do you mean to tell me you wriggled your way back into Marshmallow's life after taking advantage of her?"

"Uh, yeah? She's my best friend."

"...Have you any tips on that front?"

Part of Taco strongly suspected Apple didn't know anything at all and admonished herself for asking at all. Another part knew that any advice, no longer how juvenile, would be appreciated just because of how much she ached to do right. The other part got its hopes up that maybe this would make the difference.

Apple suddenly winced, then glanced the hand that was gripping the stems. Apparently she just noticed the spines on them, because she looked slightly surprised to see blood - er, well, apple juice.

"Oh geez, uh- I can't bring these to Marshmallow, she hates hurtiness. Uh- here, you take 'em." Apple thrust the hands into Taco's hands with a clueless little grin, then started shuffling backwards.

Taco stared at them briefly. "I have no use for-"

"I gotta go right now or I'll be late to get Marsh an actual gift," she said, still moving, "But you can explain what tip means another time and we can conversationsate or whatever that means... but I will beat you up if you try to attack anyone, so-" She puffed her chest out, "Don't do that or else! Bye."

Taco glanced disbelievingly between the roses and the direction Apple rushed off in.

Irritation rose in her chest, because she was NOT being played like this. Taco was a player, not a game. Apple was banking on Taco being ignorant of her true nature to gain the upper hand in their interaction- but she wasn't nearly as innocent as she claimed, and it annoyed Taco more than anything.

Any other time, her next move would be winning by not bothering.

But annoyed as though she might've been - desperate times called for desperate measures. Somehow Apple had found forgiveness, and that meant there was some possibility that she knew something that could help Taco.

It would've been a lie to say that the Liar forgot the Forgettable.