Identity Proposition [Pepper x Salt]

Pepper has always tied so much of his identity to being just like Salt.

I wrote this one for a good friend of mine, Leon! I think he's left Wattpad, but he inspired me to write this morsel in September 2018. Pepper is a trans guy in this!

⁂⁂⁂

Nerves makes his heart go at a thunderous, quick pace. The silence in the hotel room is completely paralyzing as Salt looks him up and down, critical, "So, what you're saying is..." Salt begins slowly. "You're a guy?"

"There's nothing wrong with it!" Pepper bursts, defensive, then adds, "I-if you're okay with it, that is." He tries to speak a little more authoritatively and deeper than usual, but that doesn't keep his voice from cracking.

That look in Salt's eyes cannot possibly be good news. Salt runs a finger down his front and hums thoughtfully again. It takes everything in Pepper not to run.

"Wow, I see... Huh."

Suddenly Salt kisses Pepper on the lips. It's just long enough for Pepper to acknowledge it but not react; he stares at Salt with wide, uncomprehending eyes after the fact. Salt's suddenly wearing a sly grin.

"I guess that means I can kiss you and still be, like, straight. Plus you can carry my bags while I'm shopping! Assuming you, like, like me, that is... But who wouldn't?"

Pepper's disbelieving stare is only punctuated by confused blinks. Soon Salt adds, as an afterthought, "This also explains a lot. I wanted to kiss you all the time even though I'm straight, and gay people are soooo OK, but it'd be totally weird if I was gay, too. You know?"

Is this how it works? Pepper finds he doesn't care that much as he laughs, only some of his nerves dispelling. Maybe this isn't how it works, but there's nothing like a different take on self-discovery to spice up the experience.